This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3388 / 56°20'19"N
Longitude: -2.7967 / 2°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 350847
OS Northings: 716557
OS Grid: NO508165
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.4MMV
Mapcode Global: WH7S0.0XJZ
Entry Name: 112 South Street (Second House in Close)
Listing Date: 28 April 1959
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 386664
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40699
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews
Town: St Andrews
Electoral Ward: St Andrews
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1734. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house. Restored late 1930s by
J Donald Mills of Mills and Shepherd architects. Harled, painted margins (chamfered to door and window to right), slate roof, 4-pane timber sash and case windows. 2-leaf flush panelled door to centre with glazed top panes, marriage lintel inscribed with anchor motif and JR EC, window to left and right, 2 windows to 1st floor with small window at centre, swept dormer.
INTERIOR: fielded panelled room to ground and 1st floor, fielded panelled doors, some 18th/19th century chimneypieces, moulded cornices.
The close wall to the east (part of 108, 110 South Street, listed category B, Item 108) which includes various blocked openings is an important part of the setting of all the buildings in this close.
This house and the adjoining house at the end of the close have been integrated into one since the late 1930s when both properties were restored by the Rev Alexander Rutherford Howell. Mr Howell was a founder member of the St Andrews Preservation Trust, a pioneering body in the building preservation trust movement in Scotland and influential in initiating the restoration of much of the medieval core of
St Andrews, especially close properties such as this. Mr Howell had previously worked with Robert Lorimer on the restoration of Paisley Abbey where he was a minister from 1918 to 1935; he is the author of PAISLEY ABBEY, ITS HISTORY, ARCHITECTURE, AND ART (1929).
Other nearby listed buildings