History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

18 the Links, the Swilken

A Category B Listed Building in St Andrews, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3428 / 56°20'33"N

Longitude: -2.8057 / 2°48'20"W

OS Eastings: 350291

OS Northings: 717003

OS Grid: NO502170

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.4CMJ

Mapcode Global: WH7RZ.WT3Y

Entry Name: 18 the Links, the Swilken

Listing Date: 24 September 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 386826

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40811

Building Class: Cultural

Location: St Andrews

County: Fife

Town: St Andrews

Electoral Ward: St Andrews

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
St Andrews

Description

J Donald Mills 1914, remodeled from small Victorian house. 2-storey arts and crafts house on cramped site hemmed in by earlier buildings, harled and whitewashed with minimal stone dressings at cills and coping of parapet. Asymmetrical composition, broad cubic mass with stepped parapet and 5-light casement bow on left, short recessed link to circular conical roofed tower bay with 3-light windows projecting forward of adjoining building on right. 1st floor balcony with timber rail on square piers follows street line at acute angle to main facade embracing earlier 3-light canted bay and forming deep open porch of irregular quadrilateral plan on left. Glazing sashes (upper sashes 6-pane) except at bow and small weatherboarded oriel erected over balcony door in 1922. Unspoiled arts and crafts interior, hall, stair and 1st floor gallery all wainscotted in simple arched wood rectangles; vestibule leads through semi elliptically rises recess of hall to stair which rises into gallery with barrel vault stained to match wainscot, lunette paintings with figures in idyllic landscapes by Shields at both ends, unusual semi elliptically arched door with oval light. Good details throughout. Dutch tile chimney pieces ground floor hall and 1st floor drawing room, barrel shaped pendant wall light of brass in hall, late Georgian neo Tudor grate of cast-iron and brass and quarter circled steps to drawing room in gallery, slim reeded-pilaster piano dais recess with 5 light window band at drawing room.

Statement of Interest

Built for Harry B Shields RBA 1859-1935, painter and table linen manufacturer trading as John Shields & Co, Perth. Part of a B Group comprising the St Andrews Woollen Mill in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.