This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9639 / 56°57'50"N
Longitude: -2.2102 / 2°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 387315
OS Northings: 785874
OS Grid: NO873858
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QQG
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.07S6
Entry Name: 17 Ann Street
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387829
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41537
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, terraced dwelling. Stucco with projecting stone cills to 1st floor.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 timber doors to centre at ground that to right boarded, windows in flanking bays (that to right enlarged), and regular fenestration to 1st floor; canted polygonal-roofed dormer windows over outer bays flanking tiny rooflight.
4- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; modern window to ground right. Grey slates. Coped brick stacks with some cans and thackstane; ashlar-coped skew to N.
This building does not appear on Wood's 1823 Plan of Stonehaven, but extensive building in the area is indicated on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1867. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.
Other nearby listed buildings