History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

43 and 45 Barclay Street with 8a, 8b and 10 Mary Street

A Category C Listed Building in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9649 / 56°57'53"N

Longitude: -2.2091 / 2°12'32"W

OS Eastings: 387381

OS Northings: 785987

OS Grid: NO873859

Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QYR

Mapcode Global: WH9RN.169F

Entry Name: 43 and 45 Barclay Street with 8a, 8b and 10 Mary Street

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 387858

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41561

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stonehaven

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Stonehaven

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Stonehaven

Description

Late 18th to early 19th century, altered to rear. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay terraced pair of dwellings with No 45 converted to shop at ground, closing irregular terrace to E. Large blocks of squared and coursed sandstone rubble, with droved ashlar base course and stone cills to No 43.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 symmetrical bays to right with timber door and letterbox fanlight to centre, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration close to eaves at 1st floor; bays to left with centre door shop at ground and 2 windows close to eaves at 1st floor; attic floor with polygonal-roofed canted dormer window to centre flanked by later small piended dormers and further canted dormers, all linked by slate-hung mansard.

N (MARY STREET) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to left at each floor and broad gablehead stack; door in later bay at outer left.

Plate glass glazing in heavy non-traditionally detailed replacement timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks, that to S truncated; ashlar-coped skews.

Statement of Interest

Continuing to make an historic contribution and leave a traditional reference to the town's prosperity. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.