This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9633 / 56°57'47"N
Longitude: -2.2096 / 2°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 387353
OS Northings: 785804
OS Grid: NO873858
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QW2
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.173P
Entry Name: 8 Barclay Street
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387861
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41563
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay (at ground) flatted dwelling with shop at ground, in irregular terrace. Colourwashed stugged ashlar with stone cills to ground. Banded 1st floor cill course and eaves lintel course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern door with plate glass fanlight to centre at ground and fixed display windows in flanking bays, all surmounted by timber fascia; 2 windows to 1st floor and 2 small modern cast-iron conservation rooflights above.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor. Grey slates. Squared rubble stack with cans and ashlar-coped skew to S.
This building does not appear on Wood's 1823 Plan of Stonehaven, but extensive building in the area is indicated on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1867. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.
Other nearby listed buildings