History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

29 - 37 (Odd Nos) Cameron Street

A Category C Listed Building in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9629 / 56°57'46"N

Longitude: -2.21 / 2°12'36"W

OS Eastings: 387327

OS Northings: 785762

OS Grid: NO873857

Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QRY

Mapcode Global: WH9RN.07WZ

Entry Name: 29 - 37 (Odd Nos) Cameron Street

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 387892

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41587

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stonehaven

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Stonehaven

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Stonehaven

Description

Earlier 19th century. Terraced row of single storey and attic traditional cottages with later polygonal-roofed canted dormer windows. Harled.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Nos 29, 31 and 33 each have centre door with flanking windows and 2 dormers above. Nos 35 and 37 each have single door, window and dormer. All with replacement timber doors.

Replacement modern hardwood glazing throughout, except to No 37 with uPVC glazing. Grey slates. Coped harled ridge and gable stacks with thackstanes and cans. Ashlar-coped skews to No 37.

Statement of Interest

This row of early small cottages closes an irregular terrace at the east end of Cameron Street. It is a rare sight in the centre of Stonehaven which consists of predominantly 2-storey architecture. The loss of fully traditional character in the modern glazing material and finish impacts adversely on the character but the retention of form and proportions, and early date, earn the terrace a special interest. The rear gardens overlook the Carron Water, and that of No 37 adjoins the separately listed 'White Bridge'. Cameron Street forms part of Stonehaven's New Town laid out by Robert Barclay of Ury in 1797 on the estate of Arduthie which had been purchased by his father in 1759.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.