This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9625 / 56°57'44"N
Longitude: -2.2195 / 2°13'10"W
OS Eastings: 386750
OS Northings: 785714
OS Grid: NO867857
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2NMQ
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.W88B
Entry Name: 85 Cameron Street, Carronbank House Including Terraced Garden, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 18 August 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387902
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41593
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Probably John Smith of Aberdeen, 1835-6; possibly extended (see Notes). Single storey and raised basement, 3-bay, piend-roofed classical house with later pedimented open porch, elegant bowed window and cupola, set in fine terraced garden and with distinguished glazing pattern. Harled with contrasting narrow finely droved margins. Deep sandstone base course to SE (rendered due to poor condition). Consoled cornices to NE and SE.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with broad open porch on new fluted timber columns and pilasters giving way to 6-panelled timber door with flanking lights and fine decoratively-astragalled fanlight, windows in flanking bays over basement windows with semicircular light traps.
SE ELEVATION: bowed bay to centre with 3 full-height windows over small horizontal basement windows, further windows in flanking bays.
SW ELEVATION: tall window to advanced gabled bay at centre, set-back bay to right with steps leading up to French window over small basement window, and further window in bay to left over full-height basement opening with glazed door.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: possibly later elevation (see Notes) with variety of elements including pavilion porch to right and full-height basement to left incorporating panelled timber door and fanlight.
Original 8- and 10-pane margined glazing to NE, SE, and SW (excluding basement openings), small-pane glazing patterns elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped harled stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves.
INTERIOR: fine interior detailing retaining good decorative scheme. Plain moulded cornices; fluted architraves and 6-panelled doors; deep skirting boards; some working panelled shutters; marble and timber fire surrounds. Front hall with slate kerbing, inner hallway with decoratively-capitalled pilasters and circular cupola. Dog-leg staircase with decorative and plain ironwork balusters. Dining room formerly with steps leading to conservatory (replaced with simple ironwork steps). Drawing room with imported marble and slate fireplace. Kitchen with some flagstones and blocked dumb waiter. Wine cellar. Door under stair possibly formerly leading to well.
TERRACED GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: high harled buttressed terrace walls to NW, coped rubble terrace walls with flights of steps to SW and high coped rubble boundary walls. Tall pyramidally-capped square-section ashlar gatepiers with 2-leaf decorative ironwork gates.
Attributed to John Smith of Aberdeen, Carronbank is an important early survivor of the quality villas appearing at the edge of Robert Barclay's new town, together with the nearby similarly dated Rosebank (also with Smith style glazing of 4 main panes to each sash with flanking narrow margins) and South Church Manse. An aerial view of Carronbank shows the likelihood of an original U-plan building with its north facing courtyard infilled. The current (2006) kitchen doorway was located beneath harling and re-opened in the late 20th century, as were the steps leading down to basement level at the south west. The main door is flanked by apparently superfluous consoles, probably remnants of the original (presumably corniced) doorpiece. The frontispiece of Gibb's 'Views in Stonehaven' illustrates Carronbank prior to the addition of a porch, and entitled 'Carron Cottage the seat of A Burnett Esq.' At the turn of the century, Carronbank was owned by Euphemia Bannerman, sister of Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman, Liberal MP for Stirling and Prime Minister from 1905-8, and by 1923 the owner was J B Cunningham, Solicitor.
Other nearby listed buildings