This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9638 / 56°57'49"N
Longitude: -2.2102 / 2°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 387314
OS Northings: 785863
OS Grid: NO873858
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QQH
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.07S9
Entry Name: 23, 25 and 27 Evan Street
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387937
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41621
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3 bay (above ground), terraced pair of shops on corner site with flatted dwellings above; unusual round-arched openings at ground and chamfered angle mitred to square. Ashlar with stuccoed and whitewashed ground floor to S and dry-dash to 1st floor W. Base course and band course. Keystoned blind Venetian window.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern timber door with decoratively-astragalled semicircular fanlight to centre at ground, further modern door with plate glass semicircular fanlight immediately to right, and fixed display windows to outer bays, each below plain fascia board; 3 windows to 1st floor and mansard above with 2 tripartite dormers flanking modern rooflight.
SW (CORNER) ELEVATION: chamfered angle mitred to square at 1st floor over modern door.
W (ANN STREET) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 display windows at ground, 3 windows to 1st floor, that to centre blocked and blind Venetian window in gablehead.
Plate glass glazing in original timber sash and case windows to 1st floor, replacement windows to dormers. Grey slates. Coped ashlar and dry-dash stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews.
An unusually sophisticated design retaining original features which include the decoratively-astragalled fanlight and blind Venetian window, a feature evident on a number of Stonehaven's finer early 19th century buildings. Evan Street forms part of the grid-iron plan for Robert Barclay of Ury's 'New Town' where building commenced in 1797 on land of the Arduthie Estate, purchased by his father in 1759. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie p15).
Other nearby listed buildings