History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Square Fountain

A Category B Listed Building in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9643 / 56°57'51"N

Longitude: -2.2084 / 2°12'30"W

OS Eastings: 387427

OS Northings: 785914

OS Grid: NO874859

Mapcode National: GBR XK.2R4S

Mapcode Global: WH9RN.16NY

Entry Name: Market Square Fountain

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 387963

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41641

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stonehaven

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Stonehaven

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Stonehaven

Description

1897. Polished granite. Small free standing gothic drinking fountain. Baptismal font style circular bowl on octagonal pier with scroll supports at splayed faces; corniced, open square columned canopy above, each face with round-arch and decoratively-tooled spandrels supported by central column and 4 corner colonettes with stiff-leaf capitals; this surmounted by ornamental pyramidal spirelet rising from decoratively-tooled gablets, inscribed E gablet reading '1897 Presented to the Town of Stonehaven by George Barrie, Law Agent and Notary Public, Edinburgh', tooled band course and square-plan stiff-leaf capital capped by metal colonette (probably for gas lamp, lamp now missing). Associated horse trough, probably later, adjacent (see below).

HORSE TROUGH: plain, rectangular granite horse trough on stand, with rectangular bowl beneath; 2 pink granite supports; 2 freestanding bollards.

Statement of Interest

Market Square Fountain was presented to the inhabitants of Stonehaven by George Barrie, a native of Stonehaven who became a law agent and Notary Public in Edinburgh. The granite used in building this fountain came from quarries at Aberdeen, Peterhead, Kemnay and Norway. The fountain is a small scale version of the more monumental Victorian civic fountains, such as those at South End Green, Hampstead, London, and at Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. The provision of fresh water for townsfolk was part of the drive for sanitary reform in mid-nineteenth century Britain. The formation of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals led to troughs being erected to provide water for horses, cattle and dogs in towns and cities.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.