This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.968 / 56°58'4"N
Longitude: -2.2181 / 2°13'4"W
OS Eastings: 386840
OS Northings: 786325
OS Grid: NO868863
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2GXN
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.W4Y3
Entry Name: 47 Slug Road and 27 Bath Street, Kirk Cottage Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387999
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41671
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Earlier 19th century, E wing added before 1867, sub-divided mid 20th century. Single storey and attic, 5-bay (bays grouped 3-2), rectangular-plan cottage on corner site with later N wing forming V-plan, altered to form 2 cottages. Harled and whitewashed with ashlar margins, some painted.
SW (PRINCIPAL, SLUG ROAD) ELEVATION: bays to left with blocked centre door and flanking windows giving way to pedimented wide-centre tripartite dormer windows above, 2 closely aligned windows in bays to right with similar dormer window above. Later porch recessed at outer right.
NW (BATH STREET) ELEVATION: 2 widely-spaced windows to gabled bay angled at outer right. Lower bay to left with 2 tiny windows and later bays beyond incorporating pedestrian door.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to SW; centre lights reglazed and plate glass glazing to outer lights of dormers. Steeply pitched roof with graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans; straight ashlar-coped skews
INTERIORS: moulded cornices; working shutters; deep skirtings. N wing rooms at No 27 with 2 stone fireplaces incorporating huge lintels.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
This is a good, traditional cottage on a prominent corner site although altered. The clear view to the north west along Slug Road, which 'leads from Stonehaven to Banchory, and was made in 1800 to shorten the distance to middle and upper Deeside. Before the Deeside railway was made, Queen Victoria often used this road on her way to Balmoral' (Eeks), has led to the local understanding that Kirk Cottage was built as a toll house. For many years (from the early 1950s) the cottage was the retirement home ot the Rev George Thompson, Minister of Fetteresso Parish Church 1800-1862. The original building facing Slug Road has been irregularly sub-divided, and the Bath Road section has been extended to include what was probably stabling and a bothy.
Other nearby listed buildings