This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9047 / 54°54'16"N
Longitude: -5.034 / 5°2'2"W
OS Eastings: 205583
OS Northings: 560881
OS Grid: NX055608
Mapcode National: GBR FHYR.8WH
Mapcode Global: WH1R2.NZ2C
Entry Name: Leswalt High Road, the High Kirk of Stranraer (Church of Scotland) Including Graveyard, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388128
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41774
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
1841; E vestry 1895; 1912 porch by P MacGregor Chalmers. Near rectangular plan church; square plan castellated tower. Whinstone; sandstone ashlar dressings. Angle buttresses to NW elevation, clasping buttresses dividing bays to SE elevation; sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds; mutuled cornice. Round-arched windows.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Advanced 3-stage square plan bell tower. Central roll moulded doorway; 2 leaf timber panelled door; canted band course dividing 1st and 2nd stages; roll moulded arched leaded light at 2nd stage; plain band course dividing 2nd and 3rd stages; louvred opening at 3rd stage to all faces; corbelled castellation. Roll-moulded arched leaded lights to flanking bays; recessed aprons. Lean-to extension and decorative screen wall to outer left; timber boarded door to outer right.
SW (LESWALT HIGH ROAD) ELEVATION: recessed bell tower to outer left; 3 tall round-arched leaded lights to nave; vestry to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: recessed bell tower to outer right; 3 tall round arched leaded lights to nave; vestry to outer left.
SE ELEVATION: roll-moulded arched stained glass lights to central gabled section; roll-moulded blind lights to flanking bays. Steps to flat-roofed porch to vestry; timber door; leaded light; ?1912? inscribed in window surround; single lights to elevations of pitched roof vestry. Steps to modern flat-roofed harled extension to outer right; pair of modern lights to each elevation.
Leaded and stained glass windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: predominantly timber. Organ by Norman and Beard to NE. Timber door to SE. Stained glass and timber veneer rood screen to NW. 3 leaded arched lights to SW and NE elevations. 2 leaded arched lights flanking 2-leaf timber door to gallery. Nave: cornice to painted pitched roof; painted ribs and bosses. Timber dado panelling; timber pews. Chancel: panelled timber; recessed round arched SE window; pair of stained glass windows by James Ballantine II, 1922; decorative hoodmoulds; pilastered blind arch with cross dividing; roundel to arch head. High Presbyterian arrangement of furnishing by P MacGregor Chalmers; stone base to timber lectern; communion table; font and elders? chairs.
GRAVEYARD: large graveyard with several impressive obelisk memorial stones and variety of 19th century memorial stones.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: coped sandstone boundary walls with railings enclosing site; square plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Cast iron gates to SW pedestrian entrance. Manse and modern hall (Robert Potter 1969-70) to SE.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The building once served as the Sheuchan church and is described by W McIlwraith in 1875 as, '... a handsome edifice, with a fine square bell-tower that appears conspicuously in all views of Stranraer.'
Other nearby listed buildings