This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4509 / 56°27'3"N
Longitude: -2.8804 / 2°52'49"W
OS Eastings: 345829
OS Northings: 729098
OS Grid: NO458290
Mapcode National: GBR VN.4DX4
Mapcode Global: WH7RK.Q3KZ
Entry Name: Tayport Harbour
Listing Date: 29 September 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388367
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41960
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Complex harbour, formed in 18th century and largely rebuilt in 1847-51 by Edinburgh & Northern Railway.
WESTERN BASIN: Roughly triangular. Short, straight west pier of squared rubble with inset stair at seaward end of west side. Shore side of triangle bisected by ramped jetty with 2 storey bay warehouse at head (see below). To west of jetty warehouse quay extended to meet west pier, with stairway in angle. To east of jetty shore side revetted with pitching of mortared boulders. East side of western basin formed by the
west pier of the eastern basin (see below).
EASTERN BASIN: Built 1847 by Edinburgh & Northern Railway, and formed by straight west pier and quay, curved eastern pier and cross quay. Pier and quay faces of rock-faced sandstone ashlar, with vertical slots at intervals for timber rubbing posts, most now gone. Exceptions are cross quay which has short western and central sections of this construction, with wood piled intervening parts, and seaward face of east pier which is steeply battered and faced with mortared rubble pitching. East pier has circular heads and stairs at both ends. That at inner end has curved corbelled overhang. West pier has rounded head central random-rubble faced platform at seaward end, used for unloading railway wagons. Quay has 2 ramped slipways, one to north being larger with level section at bottom. Southern slipway built for train ferry to Broughty Ferry.
WAREHOUSE: At head of jetty in Western Basin, a 2-storey 5 by 2-bay building, with random rubble ground floor and brick (now harled) upper floor. Pantiles on roof replaced by concrete tiles.
COAL DROP: In centre of cross quay, rock-faced rubble abutment and wing walls of railway to coal landing point (now dismantled).
WATER TANK: Late 19th century. To N of coal drop a small cast-iron sectional tank on a three tier base with ashlar cope. Lower courses of base rubble, then two phases of brick building.
OLD OFFICES: probably 1847. On cross quay, a single-storey range with piended pantiled roof.
LOOK-OUT TOWER: At right angles to old offices, a late 19th century 4-bay 2-storey brick building with segmental-arched windows and piended slate roof.
BELL: On west pier of Eastern Basin, a cast-iron bell, dated 1847, suspended from wooden post by iron bracket.
Harbour rebuilt as northern terminus of Edinburgh & Northern (Edinburgh Perth & Dundee) Railway, with passenger ferry and goods train ferry to Broughty Ferry. Opened 28 March 1851 Train ferry service ceased 1887.
Other nearby listed buildings