This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9469 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -2.9545 / 2°57'16"W
OS Eastings: 340487
OS Northings: 673067
OS Grid: NT404730
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.Y869
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.LSBC
Entry Name: Church Street, Parish Church Hall (Formerly Wishart Church) with Gates, Railings, Gatepiers and Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 30 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388516
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42082
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: East Lothian
1827-1830. Regantular-plan church with classical facade. Sandstone rubble with ahslar dressings to sides and rear; grey ashlar facade, with base and cill courses and cornice.
W ELEVATION: 3 wide bays divided by broad pilasters; door at centre flanked by pilasters, 2-leaf doors with small-pane fanlight; masonry renewal over doorway, replacing former church name. Tall ground floor windows in outer bays; smaller windows to gallery to each bay above. Segmental blocking course and end dies.
N ELEVATION: 4-bay; lean-to porch addition at ground to outer right, flanked by window, each with smaller gallery window above. 2 tall windows in bays to left of centre.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay; later door (to boilerhouse?) inserted to outer left with red brick stack flanking; gallery window to left of centre; 2 tall windows to bays right of centre.
E ELEVATION: 2 bays with tall round-arched windows.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows in W elevation and to gallery; square leaded pattern to remaining windows. Grey slates to piend roof; lead flashings.
GATES, RAILINGS, PIERS AND RETAINING WALLS: decorative wrought-iron gates and railings with low ashlar coped walls, ashlar pedestrian gate and gatepiers; rubble coped rubble retaining walls.
Built on site of an earlier church 1776, as the Wishart Church, later merging to become Wishart and St Andrew Church. Sited surprisingly closee to late 18th century property, at right angles to north, which served as the manse, probably until the new one was built at 7 Edinburgh Road in 1868 (listed separately
Other nearby listed buildings