This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.947 / 55°56'49"N
Longitude: -2.9555 / 2°57'19"W
OS Eastings: 340421
OS Northings: 673075
OS Grid: NT404730
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.Y7ZD
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.KSTB
Entry Name: 110 Church Street with Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 30 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388522
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42088
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: East Lothian
Circa 1800. 2-storey 3-bay house. Grey sandstone, squared and coursed to N elevation with harl-pointing to sides and rear; painted ashlar margins; droved quoins. Bays grouped toward centre of N elevation with door at centre (fanlight), flanked by windows and with window to each bay at 1st floor. Largely blank gabled elevations to E and W; brick porch (?) added to E. Lean-to addition at ground to rear.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Ashlar coped skews. End stacks. Red pantiles with slate easing course.
RETAINING WALLS: low ashlar coped sandstone rubble retaining walls to principal N elevation; substantial walls to E, W and S, defining island site of the house to rear. Later 19th century outbuildings with retaining wall to S; pantiled piend-roofed building in SW corner, segmentlaly arched building with corrugatyed iron roof to S and SE.
The island site, early date and largely unaltered form of 110 Church Street, make it an important property in the earlier, northern section of Tranent Burgh.
Other nearby listed buildings