This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9494 / 55°56'57"N
Longitude: -2.9565 / 2°57'23"W
OS Eastings: 340363
OS Northings: 673338
OS Grid: NT403733
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.Y1QZ
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.KQCJ
Entry Name: 244 Church Street, the Manse Stables with Retaining Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 30 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388523
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42089
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: East Lothian
Dated 1858. Rectangular-plan, symmetrical 5-bay stable range. Squared and snecked, stugged rubble sandstone with contrasting dressings.
W ELEVATION: gabled bay at centre advanced and breaking eaves with hayloft; depressed carriage arch with fanlight and boarded 2-leaf doors; hayloft opening above, with dated lintel, and 3 flight-holes at apex. Outer bays each with door flanking centre (boarded doors with
small-pane fanlights), and with narrow windows in outer bays.
Decorative wrought-iron lamp brackets to NW corner.
E ELEVATION: door, swept dormer and window. Blank end elevations.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Red pantiles; ashlar coped skews.
INTERIOR: stall divisions retained.
RETAINING WALL AND GATEPIERS: stugged grey ashlar gatepiers to drive, with ball finials, flanked by rendered and lined ashlar coped walls. Squat, pyramidally coped piers by entrance to small stable courtyard; curved sandstone rubble wall with semi-circular coping to W, swept up to s, forming diminutive courtyard and shielding the garden of The Manse.
Cottages formerly stood on ground to S.
Other nearby listed buildings