This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9497 / 55°56'58"N
Longitude: -2.9567 / 2°57'24"W
OS Eastings: 340353
OS Northings: 673378
OS Grid: NT403733
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.Y1PR
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.KQ87
Entry Name: 246 Church Street, with Balustrades and Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 30 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388524
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42090
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: East Lothian
1807. 3-bay single storey and attic lodge with classical details. Sandstone, droved, squared and coursed to S elevation, rubble sides and rear.
S ELEVATION: entrance in slightly advanced centre bay, breaking eaves in pediment; deep-set door with sunray fanlight and flushed-panelled door; oculus in pediment and simple polygonal stone finials. Modern, shallow canted windows in flanking bays.
Attic windows to side elevations.
Modern porch and 2 box dormer additions at rear.
Modern Glazing. Ashlar coped skews and coped end stacks; original cans retained. Purple slates.
INTERIOR: geometric tiling to vestibule; tripartite inner vestibule door with etched glass.
BALUSTRADES_: 2 sections of stone balustrade set closeby Selevation, with gadrooned urn finials.
RETAINING WALLS: ashlar coped sandstone rubble retaining wall to S, taller to sides (continuous with retaining wall of 252 Church Street).
Listed B despite window alterations and glazing, in consideration of its strategic postion, proximity to the church and artisan classical details.
Other nearby listed buildings