History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4 Cessnock Road, Roman Catholic Presbytery Adjoining Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Meddan, St Meddans Street

A Category B Listed Building in Troon, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5447 / 55°32'40"N

Longitude: -4.6532 / 4°39'11"W

OS Eastings: 232700

OS Northings: 631084

OS Grid: NS327310

Mapcode National: GBR 38.RR8J

Mapcode Global: WH2P9.HWFR

Entry Name: 4 Cessnock Road, Roman Catholic Presbytery Adjoining Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Meddan, St Meddans Street

Listing Date: 31 May 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 388595

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42130

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Troon

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Troon

Electoral Ward: Troon

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Barassie

Description

Reginald Fairlie, 1914. Near-symmetrical 2-storey, 4-bay L-plan presbytery grouped 1-2-1 (centre recessed at 1st floor) with single storey wing at rear; linked to church and sacristies on south transept by arcaded passage. Squared and snecked bull-faced cream sandstone (rake-jointed in part); polished sandstone dressings; tile-hanging to 1st floor inner returns; harled side to SW. Overhanging eaves; projecting cills; corbelled, shallow oriels at 1st floor.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-arched, boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; round-arched surround; single window in bay to left; single windows in both bays recessed above. Quadripartite windows at ground in flanking bays; 4-light canted oriels corbelled out at 1st floor; single windows at both floors in returns to outer left and right respectively.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single windows at both floors off-set to right of stack; single window at ground in single storey wing recessed to right. 8-bay arcaded passage adjoining to outer right.

Replacement glazing throughout. Grey slate pitched and piended roofs swept at eaves; cast-iron rainwater goods. Moulded cope to wallhead stack centred in NE gable; coped stack to rear; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

Statement of Interest

An integral part of Fairlie's design for the adjoining Roman Catholic Church - widely acknowledged as one of his most impressive projects (see separate list entry St Meddans Street, Catholic Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Meddan). Nuttgens describes the church as one of the best "...of the latter days of the Gothic Revival... if Fairlie had done nothing else, it would still mark him out as an outstanding designer in the tradition." Having completed the church in 1911, the priest's house was added to the south in 1914. Despite the loss of its original 8- and 12-pane timber windows, the house remains true to its original design. The use of bull-faced sandstone, ashlar and tile-hanging results in an interesting whole which echoes the adjoining structure. The linking passage is listed with the church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.