This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7338 / 54°44'1"N
Longitude: -4.4176 / 4°25'3"W
OS Eastings: 244435
OS Northings: 540332
OS Grid: NX444403
Mapcode National: GBR HJG6.36J
Mapcode Global: WH3VM.38NT
Entry Name: Whithorn Parish Church, (Church of Scotland) and Graveyard
Listing Date: 17 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388740
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42265
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Built 1822 with later 19th century tower. Simple rectangular hall church with squat 3-stage tower. Body of church harled with raised angle and window margins, tower rubble with polished red sandstone dressings. 3-bay nave with lancets, horizontal glazing. 2 E windows with stained glass, gifted by the daughter of Gemmel Hutcheson RSA in memory of her father. Tower flanked by lean-to bays to ground, simple pointed-arch entrance, flanked by single diminutive lancets all linked under hoodmould to 1st, louvred lancets to belfry. String course between floors, deep cornice, blocking course. 2-storey boilerhouse and vestry (?) to N of single bay; 1st floor window and door at ground. Gabled to E with stack, piend-roofed to W, linking lower block with stone forestair.
INTERIOR: galleried to 3 sides, galleries supported on cast-iron columns. Good free-standing carved oak pulpit. Classically detailed Communion Table.
GRAVEYARD: rubble walled churchyard containing many good 18th and 19th century gravestones.
Sited in the former precincts of Whithorn Priory, with graveyard surrounding bolt.
Other nearby listed buildings