This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7748 / 55°46'29"N
Longitude: -2.2956 / 2°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 381553
OS Northings: 653533
OS Grid: NT815535
Mapcode National: GBR D1DN.SR
Mapcode Global: WH8X8.Q31T
Entry Name: Turtleton Farmhouse, with Coach House, Outbuilding and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 6 February 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389082
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42542
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
W J Gray, 1849, with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay house in manse style with adjacent single storey coach house and stable, and outbuilding. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with droved ashlar dressings. Base course, flush quoins to house. Single storey addition at ground of SE elevation with string course and coped parapet.
SE ELEVATION OF HOUSE: gabled bay to centre advanced and breaking eaves. 2-leaf panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight in later single storey projection spanning ground; window at 1st floor above, blinded round-arched arrow opening to gablehead; kneelers to gable and ashlar finial. Canted flanking bays at ground with gabled and finialled dormerheads to 1st floor windows.
SW ELEVATION: 4-bay. Window at ground to inner bays and each with gabled window breaking eaves at 1st floor. Gabled bay to outer right with windows to each floor and blinded round-arched arrow opening in gablehead; kneelers and ashlar finial to gable. Single storey bay to outer right with modern glazed door and window.
NW ELEVATION: 2-bay, each gabled with kneelers and wallhead coped stacks; bay to right projecting. Single storey addition to NW (parallel to NW elevation and adjoining bay to right at ground). SE of addition: modern door to outer right with 2 windows to right. NW elevation of addition: gabled 2-bay group to right with window in bay to inner right. Window in bay to inner left. Partly blinded door to outer right with glass bricks to upper part.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows; some 8-pane timber sash and case windows remaining. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
COACH HOUSE AND STABLES: to NE of house. SW ELEVATION: 3-bay. Segmentally-arched stop-chamfered opening to centre (entrance to 2 boarded doors). Bay to right slightly advanced and gabled with window to left and blinded slit opening to gablehead and ashlar finial. Blank bay to left with ashlar mounting block. NW ELEVATION: gabled with segmentally-arched opening (now garage) with window to attic above. NE ELEVATION: 3-bay grouped to left. Split boarded door to centre with window in bay to right. Half-piended window to attic, breaking eaves. Timber multi-paned hopper windows. Slate roof. INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
OUTBUILDING: single storey, to NW of house. SE ELEVATION: 3 bays grouped to right. Boarded doors to each bay with window between centre and bay to right. 4-pane timber sash and case. Piended slate roof. INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
BOUNDARY WALLS: tall rubble coped wall to S.
The steading lies to N of house and is not included in this listing. An illustration of the farm (S elevation and plan) appears in a publication by the local architect, William J Gray?s RURAL ARCHITECTURE, along with a description and estimated cost. The illustration shows that the windows at 1st floor were bipartite. The canted additions at ground of flanking bays do not appear in the illustration. Gray says that the farm house is "in keeping with the style of rural improvements now aspired after- presenting double windows, mullions, gablets, clustered chimneys, pointed finials, and other ornaments, indicative of modern taste and workmanship... The cost of this extremely elegant farm house is only ?392." The first clear reference to the steading is seen on the 1797 map. Subsequent maps include it, using various spellings of the name. The plan on the 1857 map is very similar to the present lay-out, except that the NE range has been demolished, probably in recent years.
Other nearby listed buildings