History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cardross, Carman Road, Bloomhill with Lodge and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Cardross, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9615 / 55°57'41"N

Longitude: -4.6435 / 4°38'36"W

OS Eastings: 235081

OS Northings: 677433

OS Grid: NS350774

Mapcode National: GBR 0J.XDS9

Mapcode Global: WH2MC.NF05

Entry Name: Cardross, Carman Road, Bloomhill with Lodge and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 23 February 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389199

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42904

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cardross

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Helensburgh and Lomond South

Parish: Cardross

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Alexandria

Description

Circa 1838 with mid 19th century additions. 2-storey, 4-bay, gabled, rambling-plan Jacobethan villa. Squared and snecked red sandstone with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings; base course; quoins; Jacobethan pediment; hoodmoulds; strapwork detail; basket-arched windows at 1st floor.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay main block with bays symmetrically disposed, later broader gabled bay advanced to outer right. Porch advanced at centre of main block, basket-arched door; pedimented gable over, blank plaque in gabelhead. Tripartite window above, hoodmould, finialled gable, ashlar coping to skews, kneelers; round-headed blind light in gablehead. Flanking symmetrical bays, slightly projecting ashlar margins at ground, stop-chamfered arrises; smaller windows at 1st floor, shouldered gabled dormerhead breaking eaves above. Gable

to outer right; slightly advanced tripartite window at ground, cornice continued as dividing string course above bipartite window above, strapwork detailing over; small bipartite window to attic; ashlar coping to skew and skewputts.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay main block with service block to left. Bays grouped to centre of main block. Ornately finialled gabled bay slightly advanced to right, ashlar coping to skews and kneelers; full-height canted window with crenellated blocking course. Narrow bay to centre, blocked window at ground, hoodmould, window at 1st floor, gabled dormerhead breaking over. Ground and 1st floor windows of outer left bay slightly advanced ashlar clad, bipartite at ground, basket-arched window at 1st; gabled dormerhead breaking eaves. Windows on left return, window at ground, 1st floor, dormerhead breaking over. 4-bay service wing recessed to left. 1st floor of centre block jettied on single sandstone pillar, forming covered area at ground. Broad terminating gable slightly advanced to outer left.

N ELEVATION: irregular elevation with advanced gabled wing to left.

Plate glass top-hopper window, stained hardwood. Grey slate roof, lead flashings; red sandstone ridge and wallhead stacks with ashlar coping; ashlar coping to skews and skewputts; kneelers and block skewputts.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

S LODGE: circa 1838 with later 19th century, modern alterations. Single storey, originally 3-bay, now 5-bay, rectangular-plan lodge. Coursed red sandstone with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings; base course; eaves course;

E (AVENUE) ELEVATION: 3-bay original block with additions in sympathetic style. Gabled advanced at centre, recessed panel at centre with 3-centred former door now blocked as window; blank plaque in gablehead. Entrance to right, recessed porch, modern door; small window to outer right. 2 bays to left, penultimate bay slightly recessed.

GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: paired gatepiers, battered base, honey sandstone with some red sandstone detailing. Main piers, stop-chamfered arrises, blank plaque detail, gabletted sawtooth finialled caps, finial on pier to right missing. Pedestrian gate to left, broad pier, stop-chamfered arise, pyramidal cap. Outer right pier narrower, pyramidal cap.

Tall stugged red sandstone wall with harl and cement pointing; ashlar semicircular coping. Wrought-iron 2-leaf gates to drive and single pedestrian gate.

Statement of Interest

Bloomhill was built for Alexander Ferrier in 1838. The house replaced on earlier house of the mid 1770s which was situated to the N. The once fine classical stable block of this earlier house is situated to the S and has been converted to residential use. The W lodge, Shira Lodge, is listed separately. The house is now a residential home.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.