History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balgonie Road and Mitchell Terrace, Markinch Railway Station with Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.201 / 56°12'3"N

Longitude: -3.1308 / 3°7'50"W

OS Eastings: 329938

OS Northings: 701510

OS Grid: NO299015

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.FBL4

Mapcode Global: WH6RG.WDBK

Entry Name: Balgonie Road and Mitchell Terrace, Markinch Railway Station with Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 10 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389241

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42936

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Town: Markinch

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Markinch

Description

Thomas Grainger, 1846-7, later alterations. Single storey, rectangular-plan, Italianate railway station office and L-plan, piend-roofed station master?s house. 2 canopied platforms. Ashlar with stone dressings, and harl. Base and band course, hoodmoulds, chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

W (BALGONIE ROAD) ELEVATION: single storey station office to left: advanced gable off-centre left with tripartite window, hoodmould, blind hoodmoulded oculus in gablehead; 2-leaf panelled timber door with pilaster to right on return to left. Similar door and pilaster in recessed bay to left. Modern window in altered bay to right of centre with lower roofline.

2-storey house to right: blank recessed bay to outer right with flat-roofed entrance porch to left in re-entrant angle, 2-leaf panelled timber door below 4-pane fanlight; advanced bay to left with canted window with blocking course at ground and window above.

N (MITCHELL TERRACE) ELEVATION: broad gable with canted window and blocking course at centre; adjoining gatepier at outer left.

E (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: raised above platform level. Timber canopy supported on 4 cast-iron columns; 5 recessed bays behind with 2-leaf panelled timber door and 4-pane fanlight to left of centre, altered door to right and canted window with further 2-leaf door (as above) to outer right; bipartite window to outer left and 2-leaf door (also as above) on return to left.

S ELEVATION: advanced gable of station master?s house with 2 windows at ground and window to left above, blinded window to right.

2-, 4-, 5-, 10- and 15-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; modern casement window at centre W. Grey slates. Brick stacks on ashlar bases with some cans; moulded bargeboarding with exposed decorative eaves and drop-finials.

GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: pyramidal-coped ashlar gatepiers with square-coped ashlar boundary walls and decorative arrowhead cast-iron railings.

Statement of Interest

On the Forth Bridge railway line. John Balfour of Balbirnie was elected chairman of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway when it commenced at Kinghorn in 1846. The line to Cupar was opened for public travel on Monday 20 September 1847, with the highly successful official opening taking place the previous Friday "When the first train arrived at Markinch from Cupar with twenty carriages it was greeted with loud huzzas, the Old Church bell ringing a merry peal. The carriages were invaded by all and sundry... Some of the defaulters were turned out at Burntisland and had to return on their feet, to the infinite amusement of the others".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.