This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1995 / 56°11'58"N
Longitude: -3.1322 / 3°7'55"W
OS Eastings: 329851
OS Northings: 701345
OS Grid: NO298013
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.FJ8T
Mapcode Global: WH6RG.VFPQ
Entry Name: Haig Business Park, Bonded Warehouse
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389252
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42945
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
1937. 5-storey, 12-bay, rectangular-plan, flat-roofed monumental Art-Deco bonded warehouse and bottling hall. Red and brown brick and painted cement-render with stone cills. Cement(?) band courses, cill and windowhead course, eaves cornice.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: raised deck of loading bay at ground with tall window to each bay except penultimate left with sliding timber door below small window, dominant cantilevred canopy across full-width and clutching outer corners. 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors forming grid pattern with vertical, stepped dividing pillars interspersed with contrasting horizontal windowheads and surmounted by contrasting lettering ?MARKINCH?. 5th floor with window band framed by stone cill and lintel courses with horizontally-lined brick divides. Contrasting lettering to deep wallhead ?John Haig & Co. Ltd.?; eaves cornice. Full-height flanking brick stair/lift towers above canopy with raised brick pilasters and eaves cornice; returns to right and left with centre windows to all 5 levels (2 below canopy) and smaller window above (5th floor).
E ELEVATION: 9-bays with grid pattern of concrete banding. Variety of elements at ground including tall windows, door and loading bay door. Each bay above ground with bipartite window except bay 6 with 1st floor walkway to adjoining building.
W ELEVATION: much detail at ground obscured by additional buildings. Detail above ground as E elevation but with projecting stack across bay 5.
Small-pane glazing pattern with vertically-aligned astragals and hopper openings in metal windows.
INTERIOR: of former bottling hall space divided by octagonal pillars; trabeated ceiling.
In 1877 the blending business of Haig & Company was moved to Markinch from Cameron Bridge, taking the title of John Haig Sons & Company. In 1892 the first bonded warehouse was erected and in 1894 John Haig became a limited company with Hugh Veitch Haig as Chairman. 1923 extensions included the ?New Bond?, automatic filling and labelling machinery, a private railway siding, new case factory, washing house and canteen. The foundation stone of the above detailed building, known as the ?Coronation Bond? was laid in 1937; it was complete by 1938 and provided storage for more than 1.5 million gallons of whisky with bottling facilities for over 1.25 million cases per annum. A new office block (now Haig House) was opened 1954 at which time the company employed over 600 people at Markinch. The premises closed 1984 and business transferred to Denbeath by Windygates.
Other nearby listed buildings