This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.199 / 56°11'56"N
Longitude: -3.1506 / 3°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 328707
OS Northings: 701303
OS Grid: NO287013
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.FD4M
Mapcode Global: WH6RG.KGY4
Entry Name: Alburne Park, Levenbank with Outbuilding, Gate, Gatepiers and Boundary Wallsalburne Park, Levenbank with Outbuilding, Gate, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389267
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42957
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes Central and Thornton
Traditional County: Fife
Earlier to mid 19th century. 2 storey with attic and part basement,
3 bay house with nepus gable, sited on ground falling to E. Squared, coursed rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins and raised stone margins. Eaves course; hoodmoulds to front at ground and chamfered arrises.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Deep set panelled 2 leaf timber door with plate glass fanlight in moulded doorcase with flanking circular bases and stepped hoodmould over blind tablet (possibly originally decorated with coat of arms) at centre, windows with hoodmoulds in flanking bays and regular windows at 1st floor close to eaves, nepus gable at centre with small window at centre below stack.
E ELEVATION: basement (detail obscured). Ground floor with canted windows to right and left of centre, large stair window at centre and windows to right and left at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: ground floor obscured, window to outer right at 1st floor and further window at gablehead.
S ELEVATION: outbuilding adjoining at ground, window above at gablehead.
Mainly 4 pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, plate glass glazing to rear. Graded grey slates. Shouldered and coped ashlar stacks with full complement of polygonal cans, ashlar coped skews with scroll skewputts and thackstanes, cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
OUTBUILDINGS: single storey, L plan rubble range adjoining house at S (part converted to garage). W elevation with boarded timber door with plate glass fanlight to right and modern window to left; garage door below hayloft opening in advanced face. N elevation with 2 leaf boarded timber door to right of centre and blinded window to outer right, window to left of centre part timber louvred and further boarded door to outer left. S elevation with door to right of centre and
2 windows beyond to right, further window to left, 4 rooflights above. Graded grey slates, timber bargeboarding with exposed eaves and small finial and cast iron downpipes.
GATE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: decorative cast iron gate with square, pyramidal coped ashlar gatepiers and quadrant walls. Semicircular coped random rubble boundary walls.
Leven Bank was occupied, in 1893, by William Mitchell, woollen manufacturer. Alburne Park (formerly Woolmill Road) was part of the turnpike road from Pettycur to Newport on Tay, a popular coaching house was the Plaisterers Inn situated according to Rowntree Bodie "just south of Balbirnie Bridge, on the site of ?Levenbank".
Other nearby listed buildings