History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duniface Farmhouse and Steading, Outbuilding, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

A Category B Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1976 / 56°11'51"N

Longitude: -3.0437 / 3°2'37"W

OS Eastings: 335334

OS Northings: 701040

OS Grid: NO353010

Mapcode National: GBR 2G.FD53

Mapcode Global: WH7SN.6HV7

Entry Name: Duniface Farmhouse and Steading, Outbuilding, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 1 March 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389298

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42982

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo

Parish: Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Leven-Fife

Description

Mid 19th century (incorporating earlier fabric); James Gillespie alterations to Steading 1854 and James Gillespie & Scott 1903, 1906 and 1908.

FARMHOUSE: 2 storey, 3 bay, T plan gabled house. Squared and snecked rubble, Aberdeen Bond to S, and coursed rubble, dressed quoins. Chamfered base course. Corbels, hoodmould, chamfered reveals and stone mullions.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: deep set panelled timber door with 2 leaf fanlight at centre in flat roofed stone porch with hoodmould and parapet, arrow slit window above at 1st floor and rooflight off centre right; broad, advanced, finialled gable to right with bipartite window at ground and smaller bipartite window at 1st floor, blind arrowslit in gablehead; canted window to left of centre at ground with corbels giving way to 1st floor narrow, advanced and finialled gable with bipartite window and blind arrowslit at gablehead.

W ELEVATION: ground floor with window to centre and in bay to left,

1st floor centre window with pedimented windowhead breaking eaves and bipartite window to left; advanced gable to right of centre with abutting garden wall and projecting, battered chimney breast piercing gablehead.

N ELEVATION: finialled gable with blinded window to left of centre at ground. Slightly recessed single storey wing adjoining at left with squat wallhead stack at centre, window to right and 2 windows to left.

E ELEVATION: advanced and gabled porch to right of centre (flat roofed extension behind) with door to right, window to left, further door on return to left and adjoining projecting single storey wing to outer right with 2 doors (all doors boarded timber). 2 storey gable to left with window at ground right and adjacent garden wall abutting to left, small flat roofed extension beyond to left with timber door to right and window to left. 1st floor with window to right and further window to centre at gablehead.

2, 4, 6, 9 and 12 pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Cavetto coped, shouldered ashlar stacks with full complement of polygonal cans; ashlar coped skews with moulded skewputts and decorative finials and thackstanes.

INTERIOR: panelled shutters.

STEADING: 2 rectangular plan, pantiled, rubble ranges (running N S).

Stepped range to N of farmhouse with dressed quoins and margins.

E ELEVATION: lower bay to left with door to left and small window to right. Bay to right with 3 cart arches below 3 timber louvred hayloft openings; interior with open beamed ceiling and timber stair. Adjoining modern farm building at outer right.

W ELEVATION: lower bay to right with small opening to right; taller bay to left with 3 similar small openings and 3 hayloft openings above. Brick gable of modern farm building adjoining at outer left.

Older range to NW of farmhouse with laigh floor to W. E elevation (single storey): door to right of centre with further door above ground and breaking eaves to left of centre. S elevation (2 storey): door to centre at ground, window above and arrowslit at gablehead.

OUTBUILDINGS: piend roofed random rubble, U plan outbuilding to E of farmhouse, pantiled to N and E, slated to S and W. Lower wings projecting from SE and NE corners; S elevation with wide timber door to left; W elevation with doorway to right and 2 large rooflights; N elevation blank with long sloping roofline.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble and brick boundary walls. Square coped ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast iron gates.

Statement of Interest

The name Duniface translates as ?Fort of the charmed serpents?, and Sibbald reports finds of stone coffins at Duniface Farm. The OSA records it, "On the eastern extremity of the parish is the farm of Duniface, mortified to the United College of St Andrew?s, by a gentleman of the name of Ramsay, for the education of 4 bursars at that college. "Now privately owned, the farm remained the property of the University until earlier this century. Gillespie & Scott received commissions for work at ?Duniface Farm Steading for St Andrews University Court? in 1854, 1903, 06 and 08. Bundle 657 contains a ?Draft letter testing clause of disposition by the United College to the Leven Railway Company 1854?; bundle 787 ?Duniface Farm Steading. Reconstruction after part destroyed by fire 1906?; and bundle 271 ?proposed new cottage for St Andrew?s University Court 1893?.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.