This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2008 / 56°12'2"N
Longitude: -3.1571 / 3°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 328308
OS Northings: 701510
OS Grid: NO283015
Mapcode National: GBR 29.FBPJ
Mapcode Global: WH6RG.GDVR
Entry Name: Tullis Russell Paper Mills, Rothes House with Conservatory and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389321
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43004
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes Central and Thornton
Traditional County: Fife
Possibly William Burn, mid 19th century incorporating earlier fabric, altered 1891 and 1913, porch added 1924. 2 storey with attic and open basement, 3 bay, T plan, gabled house on ground sloping to N. Narrow ashlar with heavily dressed squared and snecked rubble, droved quoins and stone cills. Part base course and eaves cornice. Stone mullions. Towering diamond stacks relieving skyline.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad, advanced gabled bay to right with full height canted window, corniced at both floors and extending into gablehead. 3 bay lean to porch across centre and left bay, abutting advanced gable to right and piended to outer left; tripartite porch window to right with part glazed, panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight in panelled timber doorcase, supporting cast iron columns to centre and outer left linked with delicate cast iron arcading. Panelled timber door with margined glass fanlight at centre (obscured by porch window) and window in bay to left of centre with dormerheaded window above breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: gable to right with traditional, pitch roofed conservatory (see below), window at gablehead and 3 tall stacks above: recessed face to left with variety of elements including 2 storey lean to extension and 2 dormer headed windows breaking eaves.
N ELEVATION: basement with door at centre, window to left and small opening to right, blank gable above with 4 tall stacks.
E ELEVATION: advanced gable to left with windows at ground and 1st floor and 3 stacks above. 2 bays recessed to right with bipartite window to outer right at ground and further window to left, 2 irregular windows above both with dormerheads breaking eaves.
4, 10, 12 and 15 , lying pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Cavetto coped and shouldered, diamond aligned, grouped stacks with full complement of cans. Deeply overhanging eaves and moulded bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: inner hall with parquet floor, segmental headed passageway under staircase; curved stair with panelled walls, decorative cast iron balusters, timber handrail and circular cupola with plain astragals. Ground floor room to right with timber fireplace with fluted pilasters and swags, moulded timber fireplace to ground floor room at rear. Plain cornicing, panelled timber shutters, window backs, elbow linings and soffits, and brass sash lifts.
CONSERVATORY: 2 bay, gabled, finialled conservatory adjoining W gable of house and on falling ground to N with brick boiler house and store rooms below; round headed openings and mutules to boiler house.
S ELEVATION: taller bay to right with part glazed timber door at centre and vertically aligned astragals. Lower, long bay to left with swept roofline to dwarf wall glazed ventilators. W ELEVATION: gable end with moulded bargeboarding; part glazed timber door at centre flanked and surmounted by vertical glazing pattern on low brick base, tall brick stack to left. N ELEVATION: bay to right with door at centre flanked by pilaster strips with windows beyond; left bay with lower extension in re entrant angle, window to left and above.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
William Tullis and Agnes Russell married 1846 and lived at Rothes Cottage "making their home a famous social and intellectual centre of generous hospitality and lively discussion" (Ketelbey p129). A plan dated 1900 shows this building as Rothes Cottage, and an 1824 map shows a building of rectangular plan (probably T projection of the current building). The house is currently (1995) used as the Chairman?s office.
Rothes paper mill was started in 1806 by William and Archibald Keith and purchased (for ?3,050) by R Tullis & Co (who since 1809 had owned the nearby Auchmuty Mill) in 1836 and produced "brown and grey wrapping papers" (NSA). James Thrift Smith (a cousin) worked for the firm, eventually becoming a partner and later starting his own business, Smith Anderson & Co at Fettykill in Leslie. Another employee, James Grieve left in 1816 to start a business at Balbirnie Mill. David and Arthur Russell (Agnes brothers) joined the firm in 1874; the name changed to Tullis Russell & Co Ltd in 1906, with the Tullis family connection ending in 1957.
Other nearby listed buildings