This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1927 / 56°11'33"N
Longitude: -3.0543 / 3°3'15"W
OS Eastings: 334670
OS Northings: 700511
OS Grid: NO346005
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.FXCW
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.1LVY
Entry Name: Windygates, Milton Road and Kennoway Road, Windygates Hotel with Outbuildings, Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389336
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43016
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Early to earlier 19th century. 2 storey with attic, 3 bay hotel on corner site. Squared and snecked rubble and harl with droved long and short quoins and quoin strips. Base and dividing courses. Venetian windows with voussoirs, round headed door, stone mullions and corbelled oriel window with stop chamfered arrises.
S (MILTON ROAD) ELEVATION: piended to right and single storey, flat roofed extension (not included in this listing) to left. Symmetrical. Modern part glazed door in round headed doorway at centre, Venetian windows in flanking bays and to each bay at 1st floor; low, flat roofed timber door at centre above.
E (KENNOWAY ROAD) ELEVATION: irregular bays. Door to right of centre with further door and window beyond to right, blank single storey bay to outer right. 1st floor with dominant corbelled and canted oriel window to left of centre, modern hotel sign at centre and shouldered wallhead stack above flanked by adjacent flat roofed dormer windows.
N ELEVATION: blank, advanced gable to right of centre with 1st floor window on return to left; blank, piended, single storey bay in re entrant angle to left with window to left of recessed 1st floor and modern hotel sign to right. Further recessed bay to outer right with window at 1st floor over lean to roof of link with outbuilding (see below) beyond.
W ELEVATION: modern door (converted window?) off centre left at 1st floor accessed from fire escape over flat roofed extension, window to outer left, modern hotel sign to outer right and further window above in gablehead below broad stack.
2 and 4 pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cavetto coped stacks.
OUTBUILDINGS: slated, piend roofed outbuilding (converted coach house?) with stone forestair leading to wide timber door at left of N elevation.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped boundary wall with ball finialled gatepiers to S, and painted boundary walls to N.
By the early 19th century, Windygates was "the great posting station for East Fife", Windygates ?flies? were hired from an "extensive posting establishment conducted in the vicinity of the hotel", Cunningham. There were both tollhouse and tollgate at the Cross, and tolls were exacted until 1907. A tunnel was discovered in 1983 (unfortunately heavily backfilled when the hotel?s toilet block was erected) which is thought to be connected with smuggling between East Wemyss caves and John Knox?s Cave in Kennoway.
Other nearby listed buildings