This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8869 / 55°53'12"N
Longitude: -4.3573 / 4°21'26"W
OS Eastings: 252657
OS Northings: 668479
OS Grid: NS526684
Mapcode National: GBR 3N.20K6
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.19CD
Entry Name: 55 Crescent Road, Dunronald with Gate, Railings and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 2 April 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389475
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43115
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Garscadden/Scotstounhill
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
1906. Single storey and attic and 2-storey Art and Crafts house. Red engineering bricks, red sandstone ashlar lintels and part base course; distinctive flush, timber multi-pane windows and mock timber framing to gableheads and 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay; single storey bays to centre and right; recessed porch at centre with segmental-arched timber verandah screen and boarded timber soffit; panelled door with multi-pane glazed upper and fleuron panels (en suite with vestibule door) to right and 2-light window to left. Bay to left with generous transomed and mullioned multi-light window turning corner; 3-light gabled dormer above (timber-framed gablehead). Bay to right 2-storey and canted. with window to each face at ground and to centre upper floor with half-piend roof and weathervane finial.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey; window at centre ground and 2-light to right; oeil-de-boeuf window to left at 1st floor, 2-light to centre and rectangular oriel on carved timber brackets wo right.
S ELEVATION: single storey with window at centre, projecting window to left, return of front window to right. 3-light gabled dormer.
Later addition to rear.
Casement windows (as above), except to ground of canted bay and N elevation where timber sash and case windows with multi-pane upper sashes and plate glass lowers with 8-pane strip by cill. Purple slates with clay ridge tiles and ball finials. Red brick stacks to wallheads, tapering and with neck ledge.
INTERIOR: fine period decoration with high quality joinery. Vestibule with door echoing main door (see above) and coombed ceiling. Inner hall with segmental-double-arched arcade with corniced timber pier and reeded soffits; doors detailed as main door minus fleuron; moulded timber newels to stair; boarded dado. Stained glass to large, mullioned and transomed stair window. Built-in cupboards to former kichen (range removed and room extended). Dining/drawing Room with wainscot panelling, segmental-arched recess and bracketed picture rail; stylised chimneypiece of panelled posts with larger jettied upper section. Study with reeded wainscot panelling, tiled chimneypiece with overmantel mirror and glazed centrepiece, segmental lintel to window.
GATE, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: decorative wrought-iron railings on ashlar sandstone dwarf wall and en suite pedestrian gate. Red sandstone ashlar gatepiers with segmental detail and pyramidal caps,
Built for the Manager of Yarrow's, and retaining the original house name, the house coincides with the move of Yarrow's from Poplar, London, to Scotstoun between 1906-8. The shipbuilding involvement probably accounts for the firm for the quality of the joinery within as naval orders were paramount before the First World War. The house was apparently the subject of a visit from King George VI and Queen Mary. Sold by Yarrow's in 1970. The original roof was in red Rosemary tiles. Borthwick explains that 40 workers cottages (inferior to this) with gardens were built to house the relocated workers who were uncomfortable with Tenement living: the locals, however, considered these Yarrow Cottages would fall because they were built in brick, not stone.
Other nearby listed buildings