This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0011 / 56°0'3"N
Longitude: -4.5819 / 4°34'54"W
OS Eastings: 239093
OS Northings: 681686
OS Grid: NS390816
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.TW3F
Mapcode Global: WH3NB.LFCC
Entry Name: Balloch, Lomond Road, Fisherwood
Listing Date: 29 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389627
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43219
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Lomond
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
1902. 2-storey and single storey Old English Arts and Crafts English semi-detached villa, built originally as semi-detached and reverted to this use. Painted render, red sandstone ashlar margins and dressings; red brick; red tile-hung 1st floor; mock half-timbering; projecting eaves.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical M-gable; gable to left, tripartite window at ground, ashlar transom and mullion, window on left return; replacement plate glass wndow above. Lower gable to right, recess to left at ground, battered buttress to centre, door to right. Moulded door surround with consoles shell pediment, lintel inscribed "Far from court far from care". 2 shallow oriels on timber corbels near-symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, corbelled chimney stack advanced at centre. Lower single storey and attic red brick block to right; broad mock-timber frieze under eaves. Rendered, flat-roofed square bay advanced in corner, tripartite window; narrow window at centre; tripartite window to outer right. Gabled canted dormer to left, square, quadripartite dormer to right.
N ELEVATION: 3 bays near-symmetrically disposed, terminal buttresses; canted oriel at centre, sandstone roll-moulded corbel, buttressesed underneath; tile-hung apron, half-timber gable breaking eaves above. Flanking shallow canted timber windows at ground.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical M-gable with advanced single storey wing to outer left. M-gable, broad gable to right, tripartite window at ground, canted oriel at 1st floor, mock half-timber gablehead. Lower gable to left, small tripartite to left, single window to right at grouns, 2 windows at 1st floor. Single storey wing advancd at ground outer left, quadripartite window on right returns.
S ELEVATION: broad single storey gable advanced to outer left, red brick ground floor, door to right framed by red brick buttress; panelled door with 5-pane letterbox fanlight; corniced; timber painted sundial on building to left, "watch weel". Square 2-stage tower rising behind; bipartite windows at each stage, moulded string course continued as eaves cornice around flat-roofed bay to right. Single storey piend-roofed block to right with entrance in re-entrant angle to right. Lower wing to right.
9-pane over plate glass timber sash and case effect, hinged windows at ground; fixed multi-paned; red tiled roof. Broad red brick corniced ridge stack with red teracotta circular cans.
INTERIOR: good Arts and Crafts decor to both houses. Inglenook fireplaces, Dining Room refitted circa 1950 with fixed furniture from SS Queen Mary.
WASH HOUSE: adjoining containing copper mangle, gardener's toilet, 2 coal bunkers.
The windows consist of a large sash in each frame which slides up slightly in a hinged box to allow the window to hinge inwards once clear of the cill, an alteration on the traditional form.
Other nearby listed buildings