This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9089 / 55°54'31"N
Longitude: -3.1697 / 3°10'10"W
OS Eastings: 326976
OS Northings: 669037
OS Grid: NT269690
Mapcode National: GBR 8TY.GB
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.8RW1
Entry Name: Alnwickhill Road and 1-4b (Inclusive Nos) Stanedykehead, Alnwickhill House with Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 15 April 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389640
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43233
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert Wilson, 1890. Built as Industrial Home for Fallen Women. Now subdivided into houses. Queen Anne, main block 2-storey and attic with range of 2 single storey former industrial buildings, now in residential use, some later in brick extending W along Stanedykehead at rear. Bull-faced squared and snecked red sandstone with cream polished ashlar dressings. Tall timber sash and case windows with 20-pane glazing pattern, roll-moulded surrounds to main elevation and corniced at ground. Grey slates, terracotta ridge tiles with finials to piended main block. Ashlar coped skews, tall, corniced ashlar stacks.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled central bay, tripartite, round-headed doorway at ground floor with moulded surround and string mould over,
9 panelled door with small-paned fanlight above. Windows flanking at ground floor, 3 windows at 1st floor, central with round-arched pediment. Key-blocked bull?s-eye to attic. Flanked by lower and narrower 2-bay gables, 2 windows to each floor, with blank corniced sculpture panel to attic. Outer single bays with window at ground, 1st floor window breaking eaves in pedimented dormer.
N & S ELEVATIONS: advanced gabled bays; N with 2 windows at ground,
2 narrow windows at 1st floor, louvred bull?s-eye windows to attic. S gable has windows in re-entrant angle at ground and 1st floors.
Ashlar coped rubble wall to main road.
Long single storey range to N extending from main block with enlarged openings and veluxes to roof. Linked by stone wall to pyramidal capped ashlar GATEPIERS to courtyard. Courtyard behind: 2 storey brick piended brick addition to main block, windows replaced in uPVC. Stone single storey cottage to N.
CARRIAGE-HOUSE: now in residential use, single storey and attic, segmentally arched opening to E now in use as garage with modern garage door. Pedimented dormerheads to attic openings. 12-pane sash and case windows, slated piended roof.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls to E with saddleback ashlar coping.
GATEPIERS: to rear courtyard, ashlar with corniced ashlar caps.
Built on site of the first lunatic asylum in Scotland and formerly known as Stanedykehead, in 1850 it became the Edinburgh Industrial Home for Fallen Women and functioned for many years as a laundry. It was rebuilt in 1891, and after 1918 it was converted into flats.
Other nearby listed buildings