This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.905 / 55°54'17"N
Longitude: -3.1331 / 3°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 329253
OS Northings: 668564
OS Grid: NT292685
Mapcode National: GBR 60K5.H2
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.VV61
Entry Name: Gilmerton, 6 Ravenscroft Street, Gilmerton Parish Church with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 15 April 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389672
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43259
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
1837. Transepts, porch and gatepiers added 1882 by John G Adams. Small, simple Romanesque church. Squared and coursed cream sandstone with polished ashlar dressings to E gable, squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings to sides and rear, stonecleaned. Base course, cill course, eaves course, corner buttresses with steep batters. Round-arched window and door openings. Grey slates, ashlar coped stack at rear.
SE ELEVATION: gable to road, buttressed at corners. Later, low central gabled and finialled porch interrupting original Venetian window; round-headed doorway with roll-moulded surround and string-mould, double timber boarded doors with large ornamental cast-iron hinges. Small window to each return. Venetian window to gable with colonnettes, simple tracery to centre light. Ashlar belfry corbelled out from gablehead, open with round arches openings supported by engaged colonnettes, corbelled cornice and conical stone roof with finial.
NE and SW ELEVATIONS: single, tall window to outer bay, later 3-bay lean-to transepts adjoining, each with central door and flanking windows and window on each return.
NW ELEVATION: harled. Round window to gable, single storey vestry adjoining at ground floor.
INTERIOR: remodelled 1882, large basket-arched opening to each transept supported by beam. Natural timber pews and high table furniture, boarded timber dado. Simple compartmentalised ceiling. Pulpit 1893, organ 1962. Stained glass of Bible stories in Venetian window gifted by Anderson family of Moredun, 1887 Anderson memorial plaque in SW aisle. Stained glass also to Torrence window (NW return of SW transept) and rose window in arched recess to NW gable.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: 2 pairs of ashlar gatepiers, probably 1883 with gablet caps linked by low rubble quadrant walls with pyramidal coping to road supporting railings. Random rubble walls to sides with rubble cope.
Built as a chapel of ease for Liberton Parish Church. The first Minister departed in 1843 to set up the Liberton Free Church at Northfield. The 1882 alterations were largely financed by William Ford of Fernieside who also gifted the pulpit.
Other nearby listed buildings