This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1874 / 56°11'14"N
Longitude: -3.0579 / 3°3'28"W
OS Eastings: 334438
OS Northings: 699917
OS Grid: NT344999
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.G2ZJ
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.0R42
Entry Name: Windygates, Cameron Hospital, Pavilion Wards and Lodges 2 and 3
Listing Date: 17 May 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389849
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43384
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
W D Telfer, 1911. 4 single storey pavilions (infectious diseases wards). Harl and red brick. Deep brick base course.
CENTRE PAVILION: E (entrance) elevation: symmetrical. Ramp up to advanced, flat-roofed porch with part-glazed door at centre in stepped, brick-margined doorway below (eroded) panel, flanking further advanced bays with narrow windows and further narrow windows on returns; recessed face with arrow slit in gablehead at centre and flanking higher pavilions, each with narrow window and bellcast roofs. N and S elevations: 2 narrow windows. W elevation: slightly advanced, lower centre gable with window, window in bay to right, window and door to left. Each window flanked by single, horizontally aligned red bricks (painted over).
N PAVILION: S elevation: symmetrical. Centre bay as above, door with porthole windows at top; flanking bays with 3 windows and lower outer bays each with window toward centre. N elevation: with basement. Centre gable with window below decorative red brick relieving arch, outer bays as S elevation; basement.
S PAVILION: mirror image of N pavilion.
W PAVILION: E elevation: centre gable and flanking pavilion roof visible over full-width modern flat-roofed extension. W elevation: detail as N pavilion but with 4 windows to flanking pavilions.
Top-opening plate glass glazing in timber and metal framed windows. Red tiles. Boarded timber overhanging eaves with decorative brackets; cast-iron downpipes and dated, decorative rainwater hoppers.
LODGES 2 AND 3: harl and brick pavilion-style outbuildings. Lodge 3: small, finialled, outbuilding adjacent to other pavilions. Lodge 2: larger outbuilding to SE (original lodge house/nurses quarters?) with bow window on S corner, variety of elements elsewhere including tripartite door, bipartite window, and decorative brick detail to harled stacks.
David Bryce's 1849 Haig House (listed separately) was converted to the administration block for Cameron Hospital which opened in 1912 as the joint infectious diseases hospital for the burghs of Buckhaven, Methil and Innerleven. Telfer's wards, for fever, diptheria, typhoid and observation, form a square with Haig House to the E, and the smaller pavilion at centre. The hospital changed in the 1930's, to the North East Fife County Infectious Diseases Hospital with new administration building, nurses home (Cameron House) and lodge house (latter listed separately), and new wards. During WWII Cameron was used as a military hospital "for seamen from Methil Docks and expatriated prisoners of war". Further wards were added in 1956, 1963 and 1970 but the hospital ceased to handle infectious disease cases in 1994.
Other nearby listed buildings