This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9472 / 55°56'49"N
Longitude: -3.2292 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 323331
OS Northings: 673364
OS Grid: NT233733
Mapcode National: GBR 8FH.DL
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.CSJ6
Entry Name: 6 Wester Coates Road, Redmount, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 30 July 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390128
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43573
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Henry F Kerr, 1896; JH Herdman, 1907, addition. 2-storey, elongated L-plan red sandstone baronial villa with octagonal entrance turret, corbelled corner turrets and crowstepped gables. Squared and snecked red sandstone rubble with polished dressings. Quoins; long and short surrounds; mullioned and transomed canted bay windows; swept conical roofs with ball finials to corner turrets.
W (WESTER COATES RD) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay at left with single storey flat-roofed polygonal-plan porch at ground; piend-roofed 3-light canted bay to 1st floor above; penultimate bay to left advanced at ground, with small bipartite window at left, door to right set in recessed, depressed-arch opening; moulded cornice above; curvilinear pediment with ball finial to dormer window, breaking eaves above; bay third from left advanced and gabled, with 5-light canted bay with coped parapet to ground; bipartite window with recessed, moulded and polished semicircular panel forming pediment at 1st floor above; engaged octagonal turret to re-entrant angle to S; ogeed, moulded, basket-arched opening to central face at ground with 2-leaf boarded door; small window to face at left; frieze and scrolled pediment to doorpiece; window to 1st floor above, with semicircular pediment and ball finial above cornice; polygonal roof with ball finial; mullioned and transomed 8-light window at 1st floor to right of turret, with small window to right at ground below; window to right; large dormer with semicircular, ball-finialled pediment at 1st floor above; tall wallhead stack and chimney breast at penultimate bay to right; large dormer with semicircular pediment to 1st floor at bay to outer right.
S (WESTER COATES GARDENS) ELEVATION: advanced, gabled bay at left; canted bay at ground with coped, castellated parapet; centred window at floor above, surmounted by recessed semicircular panel; small light to pepperpots at each angle of 1st floor; advanced, coped, single storey garage at right with painted lintel and large 3-pane fanlight above door; wallhead stack to 1st floor of S side of skewed, gabled bay behind.
Predominantly sash and case glazing, with small-paned upper sashes; modern glazing to porch at N of Wester Coates Road elevation. Grey slate roof; tall, coped, wallhead stacks with cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped, coursed red sandstone boundary walls to street.
Eye-catching, rather sprawling, red sandstone villa on corner site. The villa development of the Heriot Trust's estate of Wester Coates was begun in the 1850s, under the supervision of Alexander Black. However, the continuation of the scheme to the North was inhibited by the building of the railway line in 1860 and was only revived in the 1890s by the Heriot Trust Surveyor, Donald A Gow. Fortunately, the laying of the railway line made the area a desirable suburban location thus making the site a profitable property concern, as can be seen from the size and style of the villas built.
Other nearby listed buildings