This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8498 / 55°50'59"N
Longitude: -3.1371 / 3°8'13"W
OS Eastings: 328904
OS Northings: 662425
OS Grid: NT289624
Mapcode National: GBR 60JS.MV
Mapcode Global: WH6T6.S7BB
Entry Name: Rosewell, Carnethie Street, Rosewell Institute, Including Boundary Wall, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 13 September 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390209
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43642
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian West
Traditional County: Midlothian
James McLachlan, dated 1917. Classical style miners' institute, with Palladian arrangement 2-storey, 3-bay hall linked by quadrant portico to single storey, pavilion wings. Rendered with red polished sandstone ashlar dressings; base course; Doric columns to portico; keystones to 1st floor openings; raised cills to windows; entablature to portico; raised corniced name and date tablet to centre with carved decorative details; string course to central block; eaves cornice; stylised banded quoins to centre block; channelled quoins to pavilions.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced, quadrant portico with paired columns to centre and single outer columns; 3 segmental-arched and keystoned doorways flanked by banded columns set behind; architraved timber panelled 2-leaf doors with small-pane glazing to upper panels; clock to centre of floor above flanked by pairs of single windows. Window with moulded surround in bay to outer left of quadrant wall. 3-bay pavilion wings: full-height round-arched window in bay to centre with flanking pilasters breaking eaves in piend-roofed dormerhead; keystoned single windows flanking.
(SE) REAR ELEVATION: symmetrical, 4-bay central block; a pair of small windows with larger window to outside at ground in bays to left and right of centre; window to each floor in bays to outer left and right. Pavilion return set back to outer right; wide chimney breast to centre; window at each floor to left; window at 1st floor to outer left.
Rendered infill with irregular fenestration in return angle to left.
(NE) SIDE ELEVATION: 4-bay block with 3-bay block set back to left. Keystone arch to centre; 2-storey bay to left with flanking, full- height pilasters; timber panelled door and flanking window to ground;
2 windows at 1st floor above. 2 windows in bay to right. Round-arched doorway in bay to centre of left block; timber panelled door with fanlight above; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays to left and right. 6- and 8-pane timber sash and case windows (some boarded); 25-pane fixed windows with semicircular lights above to pavilion; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Grey slate gambrel roof to centre block; piended roof to pavilions and dormers swept at eaves; rendered, ashlar coped stack to left wing; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fire-damaged (1996); main hall subdivided by insertion of new floor; architraved and corniced doorways; timber panelled stage; panelled walls; plain cornices to pavilions; main hall roof structure not seen (1996).
BOUNDARY WALLS: low sandstone rubble with curved ashlar cope; wrought iron railings and decorative gates.
Built for the Lothian Coal Company. An unusual example of domestic Palladian arrangement applied to a public building. The Institute was built on an impressive scale with finely detailed sandstone dressings and features, of particular rarity during the wartime years.
Other nearby listed buildings