This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.089 / 56°5'20"N
Longitude: -3.5259 / 3°31'33"W
OS Eastings: 305153
OS Northings: 689514
OS Grid: NT051895
Mapcode National: GBR 1V.NCV7
Mapcode Global: WH5QQ.T66Y
Entry Name: Gowkhall, Luscar House and Stables
Listing Date: 22 August 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390212
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43646
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
David Bryce, 1838, extended to E by Robert Rowand Anderson, 1890-91,
en suite but distinguished by crowsteps. 2-storey gabled, Jacobethan villa, originally L-plan. Grey sandstone ashlar, base course, chamfered arrises. Gabled dormerheads, stone mullions.
N ELEVATION: principal bays recessed to right with canted window at ground and window above to left, 2-storey gabled bay advanced to centre with tripartite window at ground altered as door and window above; recessed bay to outer right with former porch of shoulder-arched and keystoned openings latterly blocked with windows setin re-entrant angle and with chimneybreast advanced on gable behind. Later bays to outer left adjoined to similarly advanced and gabled end of original wing to left of centre; chimneybreast on return to right.
W ELEVATION: tripartite window at centre in advanced gabled bay with window above altered as door with metal fire escape, and with strapwork pediment; canted window in bay to right with scrolled carving flanking gabled dormerheaded of former window above (now also door); recessed bay to left with porch in re-entrant angle (see N elevation).
E ELEVATION: 3-bays of main house (later addition) to left with advanced gabled bay to outer left, blank with canted chimneybreast at ground only; bays to centre and right flanking chimney at wallhead with door at ground to right and fire escape serpentining up to right. Recessed service court area at centre. Low, advanced gabled end elevation of later work to outer right, blank except for oculus in gablehead.
12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Large grey slates. Gablet coped gables to Bryce work with block skewputts; crowsteps to later work with beak skewputts. Gablehead stacks and diamond set flues to Bryce original, ashlar wallhead stacks and clay cans to Anderson addition. Decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: decorative schemes by David Bryce in public rooms, largely intact with some later Adam - esque plasterwork. Fine billiard room by Rowand Anderson.
STABLES: circa 1840. quadrangular single storey stable court. Sandstone, squared and snecked with ashlar dressings. 5-bay E elevation with gabled entrance pend, high, round-arched carriage opening with large corbelled clock face and heavy stone birdcage bellcote at apex above; regular fenestration flanking.
Segmental arched carriage openings, round-arched doorway, to court with remains of 4-pane sash and case windows. Louvred ventilator to ridge. Graded grey slates and ashlar skews.
Bryce at the early, Burn-influenced end of his career in Jacobethan mode, before his later, more prolific Baronial designs.
Other nearby listed buildings