This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1484 / 56°8'54"N
Longitude: -3.292 / 3°17'31"W
OS Eastings: 319828
OS Northings: 695824
OS Grid: NT198958
Mapcode National: GBR 24.JQC6
Mapcode Global: WH6RL.DQMG
Entry Name: Pitcairn Steading and Farmhouse with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390232
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43661
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1865, probably incorporating earlier fabric. Single and 2-storey, 5-bay, gabled farm steading of linked parallel ranges around open courtyard (now covered) and further range to W (adjoining to N). Coursed and random whinstone rubble with dressed quoins; chamfered arrises and some ashlar-coped skews.
E RANGE CARTSHED AND GRANARY: part grey slates, part sheet metal.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Gabled cart arch with panelled datestone at centre; bay to right with timber door, flanking windows and further window to right; outer right gabled bay with door to left. Bay to left of centre with door and flanking windows and converted garage door beyond, outer left bay 2-storey gable end of grain store.
W ELEVATION: 4 cart arches below 2 small windows, and window and door to left below hayloft door with dormerhead breaking eaves, adjoining further low range to NW.
COURTYARD: largely enclosed but inner elevation of W range with blinded door below stone with carved anchor dated 1820.
W RANGE CATTLE COURTS: grey slates.
S ELEVATION: window to outer right.
W ELEVATION: blinded door at centre and buttress to left.
E ELEVATION: advanced blank gable with truncated stack to left, lower slightly advanced finialled blank gable to right and cattle courts at centre with altered entrances; adjoining further low range to NE.
FARMHOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay, harled farmhouse with painted stone margins.
S ELEVATION: door to centre at ground with windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration at 1st floor. Slated roof, coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
Built from whinstone quarried at Pitcairn, the farm belonged to James Kininmonth as early as 1657, later becoming part of the Minto estate, the NSA reports that "the late Lord Minto introduced over his property an improved state of husbandry, from Roxburghshire, about 20 years ago" (p169) possibly connecting with 1820 dated stone (see above). Pitcairn became a dairy farm circa 1910 and in 1914 was farmed by J Bonthron with a herd of 60 Friesian cows. Cobbled sets to S of steading were laid by POW?s from nearby North Pitkinny camp. Adjacent to E end of steading and of good traditional design, the farmhouse would benefit from reinstatement of timber windows.
Other nearby listed buildings