History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinglassie House with Walled Garden, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gate

A Category B Listed Building in Kinglassie, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1612 / 56°9'40"N

Longitude: -3.2332 / 3°13'59"W

OS Eastings: 323509

OS Northings: 697183

OS Grid: NT235971

Mapcode National: GBR 26.HZHQ

Mapcode Global: WH6RM.9DNM

Entry Name: Kinglassie House with Walled Garden, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gate

Listing Date: 4 October 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390245

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43672

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kinglassie

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty

Parish: Kinglassie

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Leslie

Description

Dated 1883 incorporating earlier fabric (possibly 1692). 2-storey, 3-bay gabled house. Painted dressed ashlar and lined cement render with quoin strips and stone margins. Stop-chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Part-glazed door at centre behind part-glazed timber porch (top lights coloured and leaded) with door on return to left, flat-roofed canted windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration at 1st floor; gable at centre above with glazed oculus and stack at gablehead.

W ELEVATION: advanced gable to right with window to both floors at outer right, glazed oculus at centre and gablehead stack; slightly recessed single bay extension to left with window to each floor, that to 1st floor with carved lintel below ?16 EB 92? and above ?18 JM 83?; boarded timber door with 3-part fanlight in small porch on return to left and window above; further window in recessed bay to left and beyond in single storey extension; outbuilding (see below) abutting to outer left.

N ELEVATION: blank irregular M gable with gablehead stacks and projecting single storey extension with 2 windows, outbuilding adjoining to outer right.

E ELEVATION: advanced gable to left with window (converted door) to right at ground, small window in gablehead and stack above at centre; bay to right with 2 asymmetrically disposed windows to each floor and further window in gabled single storey extension to outer right.

Mostly 2-pane upper over plate glass lower sashes; plate glass glazing to canted windows; all in timber sash and case windows except those to 2-storey extension to W. Graded grey slates. Cavetto coped painted ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar coped skews.

INTERIOR: good traditional late 19th century decorative scheme survives. Porch with boarded timber roof and coloured glass top lights each with centre roundel of different bird(s), part-glazed door with etched face over words ?DREAD NOUGHT? leading to flagstoned hall with plain cornice. Further etched glass panel in converted door of room to E at ground. Curved staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail, rooflight of etched glass with coloured margins, moulded arch at 1st floor leading to later extension. Working shutters, timber fire surrounds to principal ground floor rooms and decorative cast-iron fireplaces with tile slips to 1st floor. Bell board with full complement of brass bells in kitchen accessed from roll-moulded doorway.

OUTBUILDING: slated, single storey bothy with timber door to right of centre and flanking windows to S, window to W and 2 further windows to N. Gablehead stacks, that to W with thackstanes, and ashlar-coped skews. Room to left with boarded timber walls and ceiling, and timber fireplace.

WALLED GARDEN: small terrace with steps down to walled garden to S of house. Access via cast-iron gate with stone lintel to centre of N wall, flanking small niches to interior. Further pedestrian opening with small gatepiers and moulded finials to centre of lower S wall.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: coped rubble boundary walls. Pyramidal-coped rusticated ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gate.

Statement of Interest

Probably original Pitlochie Farmhouse. According to Groome Kinglassie estate was sold to John McNab of Glenmavis in 1883 for ?22,140, however, documents dating 1874 mention this name in connection with sale details. McNab whose likeness appears in glass of front door (see above) is thought to have been a distiller from Edinburgh. Crossed keys mason?s mark close to ground of N elevation.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.