This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6977 / 55°41'51"N
Longitude: -3.9861 / 3°59'10"W
OS Eastings: 275267
OS Northings: 646699
OS Grid: NS752466
Mapcode National: GBR 02LK.TC
Mapcode Global: WH4R9.R11X
Entry Name: St Ninian's Parish Church, Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings, Vicars Road, Stonehouse
Listing Date: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390259
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43686
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Cullen, 1896. Cruciform-plan Gothic-detailed church with tower and pentice-roofed aisles. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Base course, chamfered eaves course, ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts. Buttressed nave above aisles, buttressed front gable. 4-stage tower, buttressed angles (treated as newel stair tower at front right), stringcourse between stages, trefoil headed or pointed-arch windows with hoodmoulds, Y-traceried pointed-arch belfry openings with louvres and hoodmoulds, crenellated parapet.
FRONT ELEVATION: gable to left; 2-leaf boarded doors to centre with splayed reveals and moulded pointed arch, paired windows to left and right with moulded pointed arches all linked by continuous hoodmould, large stepped 3-light gallery window above, trefoil-headed blind arcading at apex, Celtic-cross finial; window to aisle at left; tower to right.
LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: gable advanced to left with two 2-light pointed- arch windows and vesica above, 5-bay nave to right with 4 sets of paired square-headed windows to aisle and 4 Y-traceried pointed windows above (bay to far right blank). Chancel set back at far left with hall building beyond.
RIGHT RETURN ELEVATION: tower at left with door to ground floor; 3-bay nave to right and gable to far right treated as left return elevation, later additions to outer right.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: round-coped masonry boundary walls, iron gatepiers with adjoining railings.
INTERIOR: plastered walls with ashlar columns and dressings; boarded waggon roof.
Other nearby listed buildings