This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9748 / 55°58'29"N
Longitude: -3.1841 / 3°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 326197
OS Northings: 676388
OS Grid: NT261763
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q5.JP
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.220Z
Entry Name: 98 and 100 Ferry Road
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390269
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43692
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1870; extended Oldrieve, Bell & Paterson, 1938. 2-storey with dormers; corner block with 3-bays to Ferry Road and North Fort Street; single chamfered entrance bay facing SE; bank with residential accommodation above; plain classical style. Polished yellow sandstone; granite plinth; continuous string and blocking courses; projecting cornice; aprons below ground floor windows flanking entry. Single-storey extension to E with bowed front to SE; brick with ashlar sandstone facing; granite plinth; string course and projecting blocking course. Pebble-dashed flat-roofed extension to left of entrance to No 100.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: Ionic-columned doorpiece to entry comprising armorial panel set beneath pediment; architraved surrounds; 2-leaf timber panelled doors with 2-leaf glazed vestibule doors. Dentilled egg and dart detailing to curvilinear open pediment; polished oval panel below; surrounding foliate decoration; letters "ESB" entwined at centre. Rectangular architraved panel above door inscribed "NORTH LEITH BRANCH". Single window at 1st floor; canted dormer above.
S (FERRY ROAD) ELEVATION: consoled doorpiece to central entry (No 100) with foliate detailing and projecting cornice. Panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight above. Projecting extension at ground to left; single tripartite window in bay to right; apron below with advanced centre and inset architraved panel. Single windows at 1st floor in bays at centre and outer right; bipartite window at 1st floor in bay to outer left; canted dormer above.
E (NORTH FORT STREET) ELEVATION: projecting extension at ground with single tripartite set in bowed corner facing SE; advanced apron below. Single windows to ground in remaining bays. Blind window to 1st floor in bay to left of centre; single windows in remaining bays. Canted dormer above bay to outer right.
4-pane timber sash and case windows to all openings at 1st floor; 2-pane timber sash and case windows to dormers. Bronze windows to ground floor with circular detailing and pyramidal bosses. Grey slate roof with Velux insertions to both elevations. Coped and rendered wallhead stack to W; curvilinear wallhead stack to E with single circular can.
INTERIOR: considerably altered in 1938 when North Fort Street extension added and further management accommodation created. Egg and dart detailing to cornice work.
Originally the Edinburgh Savings Bank (hence, the entwined "ESB"), the building was extended in 1938 by Oldrieve, Bell & Paterson of Ainslie Place, Edinburgh. The planning application notes the intention to "...slap out the existing side wall of bank and build extension at the east side to provide enlarged banking accommodation and new agent?s room, also....to remove parapet wall railings and posts". No 98 is now the TSB Bank, No 100 remains residential at 1st floor.
Other nearby listed buildings