History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ettrick Road, Forest Lodge with Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Selkirk, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5458 / 55°32'44"N

Longitude: -2.8508 / 2°51'2"W

OS Eastings: 346416

OS Northings: 628338

OS Grid: NT464283

Mapcode National: GBR 84J9.MT

Mapcode Global: WH7WV.5VRW

Entry Name: Ettrick Road, Forest Lodge with Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 11 December 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390348

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43745

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Selkirk

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Selkirk

Description

Circa 1845 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay L-plan house (former Free Church manse). Harled with ashlar dressings. Quoins.

NE ELEVATION: panelled door, 3-pane rectangular fanlight, set in pilastered and corniced doorpiece; blinded window at 1st floor above. Window to each floor of flanking bays. Modern garage set back to right.

SE ELEVATION: 4-bay, grouped 3-1. Blank bay to centre of 3-bay group. Window to each floor of flanking bays. Possibly later full-height addition to left with window to each floor and recently installed small window at 1st floor to right.

SW ELEVATION: not seen fully, 1995. Single storey later addition to centre, to re-entrant angle, lean-to conservatory at 1st floor; door and plate glass rectangular fanlight above flanked to right by window to return NW elevation. Window to each floor of bay to left. Full-height projection, bay to right.

Modern glazing. Slate piended roof with wallhead coped ashlar stacks to SE, NW and bay to right of SW elevation.

INTERIOR: shutters in place, not working.

BOUNDARY WALL: whinstone rubble with rubble coping.

Statement of Interest

The house was the first to be built on Ettrick Road, erected as the Free Church Manse and still used as such in 1897. A lean-to addition to the rear altered in 1973 to form present addition with conservatory at 1st floor. In 1973, property subdivided. It was returned to being single property in 1989.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.