This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.549 / 55°32'56"N
Longitude: -2.8423 / 2°50'32"W
OS Eastings: 346956
OS Northings: 628692
OS Grid: NT469286
Mapcode National: GBR 84L8.GN
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9SSD
Entry Name: Ettrick Terrace, Ettrick Lodge, Ettrick Dene and Coach House with Boundary Wall, Railings and Gateways
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390351
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43748
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1853 with later alterations by David Rhind, 1870 and further alterations, including subdivision and porch-cum-stairwell, 1979-80. 3-storey with basement, 3-bay Baronial house with single storey with basement and attic house (Coach house at ground; Ettrick Dene at basement), linked to Ettrick Lodge by 6-bay single storey glazed, arcaded section; sited on steeply sloping ground to NW. Base course to NE of Ettrick Dene and Coach house and to Ettrick Lodge; stepping course between ground and 1st floor of Ettrick Lodge; band course between 1st and 2nd floor of SW elevation, string course between 2nd and 3rd floor; crowstepped gables.
SE (ETTRICK TERRACE) ELEVATION:
ETTRICK LODGE: 3-bay; harled to centre, except bull-faced sandstone with polished ashlar dressings at ground; harled at ground and 1st floor of flanking bays and bull-faced sandstone with polished ashlar dressings to 2nd floor. Gabled projecting full-height bay to centre with ashlar thistle finial; boarded door, semicircular fanlight above set in round-arched, rope roll-moulded margin; ashlar shield, window at 2nd floor. Window to each floor of bay to right, small round window to left of each at 1st and 2nd floor; window breaking eaves at 3rd floor, shield to dormerhead, ashlar rose finial. 4-storey circular-plan engaged tower to outer right; string course between ground and 1st, 1st and 2nd floor; stepped corbelled course above 2nd floor; corbelled course at eaves height. Window at ground of bay to left; rope-moulded corbelled canted oriel window at 2nd floor, ashlar sawtoothed roof set in dormerhead, ashlar ball finial.
LINKING SECTION: 6-round-arched windows with keystones.
ETTRICK DENE AND COACH HOUSE: 2-bay; bull-faced sandstone with droved ashlar dressings. Gabled projecting bay to left with ashlar ball finial; round-arched opening (now glazed) at ground, window at 1st floor above; corbelled turret to outer right, from lintel height of ground, and to outer left from cill height of 1st floor, each with moulded eaves course. Shoulder-arched boarded door to lean-to addition in re-entrant angle to right with crowstepped half-gable. Window in single storey addition to outer left. Gabled bay to right set back with small window to centre, shield to gablehead; rounded corner to outer right, corbelled to square.
ETTRICK LODGE: window to each floor to centre, breaking eaves at 3rd floor with crowstepped dormerhead with shield and cast-iron finial; datestone (WB, 1853) and shield flanking 1st floor window. Canted 3-light, 2-storey window in bay to right; bipartite window at 2nd floor, window at 3rd floor , breaking eaves with dormerhead, ashlar ball finial. Canted ashlar 3-light, full-height window in gabled bay to left with copper half-piended roof in gablehead, ashlar ball finial.
ETTRICK DENE AND COACH HOUSE: 4-bay, grouped 2-1-1. Gabled 3-storey bay to inner right, bipartite window at 1st floor; window to gablehead at 2nd floor, corbelled turret to right. Advanced 2-bay group to left. Window to each bay of basement and ground floor; gable with wallhead stack to centre. Corbelled turrets to corners, each with moulded eaves course and candlesnuffer roof.
6-pane timber sash and case windows to Ettrick Lodge; plate glass timber sash and case windows to Ettrick Dene. Slate roof to each and to linking section; strip-glazing to roof of billiard room. Ashlar coped stacks; wallhead stacks to side elevations of Ettrick Lodge. Dated (1870) rain-hoppers to Ettrick Lodge.
INTERIOR: not seen fully, 1996. White marble chimneypiece, gilded cornice and shutters in place to principal room at ground of Ettrick Lodge.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: whinstone rubble coped wall with foliate cast and wrought-iron railings/cresting and finials to dies.
GATEWAYS: to NE end of SE wall: ashlar with bull-faced sandstone in-fill. Round-arched with boarded door with iron hinges; crowstepped gable above. To NW of house, on Victoria Crescent: round-arched opening with shield above set in stepped whinstone rubble coped wall flanked by square-plan coped piers.
There was a rectangular-plan building on this site from 1858 with canted windows to outer bays of NW elevation. By comparing Ettrick Lodge with the County Buildings, Ettrick Terrace (see separate listing) to SW, it may be fair to assume that the building had formerly only been 2-storey, and that Rhind added a further storey to Ettrick Lodge and the round tower to the outer right of the SE elevation. It would seem likely (due to stylistic grounds) that Ettrick Dene and Coach house dates from this time also. The work by Rhind was commissioned by T Craig-Brown and included a billiard room, which is part of the Coach house. Further confirmation of the building sequence here proposed is given by one of the present occupiers of the flats in Ettrick Lodge, who understands that Craig-Brown was determined to have his house updated in the style of the County Buildings. The tower in a photograph in NMRS (SE/660) is shown it to have had a slate candlesnuffer roof which has subsequently been removed (removed by the 1950s, SE/934). The current glazing of the coach house arch was in place in 1975-6 (SE/1341). The building was subdivided in 1979-80 and it was at this time that the full-height porch and stairwell was added, using suitable materials and detailing. There had been a top-lit single storey hall, terminated by a crowstep-gabled bull-faced sandstone single storey entrance porch (SE/989, 990, 991, 1340, 1342, 1343). Above this was a window at 1st floor and a window, breaking eaves as in bay to adjacent right. The ashlar details were re-used in the present full-height projection, the shield between ground and 1st floor coming from the above the door and surround, which also have been re-used. A photograph of the NW elevation from 1975-6 (SE/1346) shows there are 2 minor modern additions to Ettrick Dene. It is recorded in NMRS that there was a series of paintings which Craig-Brown commissioned in the 1860s from the artist, Cuardos, utilising local Selkirk people in the Lay of the Last Minstrel. The series comprised at least 2 friezes and 2 stanze-type lunettes. They were to be found in the Billiard Room. They are now missing.
Other nearby listed buildings