History in Structure

Wellwood Park, Ettrick Terrace, Selkirk

A Category B Listed Building in Selkirk, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5514 / 55°33'5"N

Longitude: -2.8422 / 2°50'31"W

OS Eastings: 346965

OS Northings: 628955

OS Grid: NT469289

Mapcode National: GBR 84L7.GT

Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9QTL

Plus Code: 9C7VH525+H4

Entry Name: Wellwood Park, Ettrick Terrace, Selkirk

Listing Name: Ettrick Terrace, Wellwood with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 11 December 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390353

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43750

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200390353

Location: Selkirk

County: Scottish Borders

Town: Selkirk

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in
Selkirk

Description

1852-3; altered and extended, 1911; later alterations and additions. 3-storey, 6-bay (NW elevation) house sited on ground falling to NW. Bull-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings, NW elevation; stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings, SE elevation. Base course to SE elevation.

NW ELEVATION: cill course at 1st floor, except in bay to penultimate right and to outer left. Full-height gabled canted bay with 3-light window in bay to inner right with door to centre at ground; transomed bipartite window above at 1st floor, flanked by windows; course between 1st and 2nd floor; swept to square above 1st floor with bipartite window to 2nd floor in gablehead. Bipartite window at ground of bay to inner left with window to left; transomed bipartite window at 1st floor; bipartite window at 2nd floor above, breaking eaves and with gabled dormerhead. Later advanced bay to penultimate right (see Notes), gabled and raised above height of flanking gabled windows; blank except datestone (1853) to gablehead. Slightly advanced bay to penultimate left with window at ground and tripartite window at 2nd floor; balustraded parapet. Bay to outer right as bay to inner right, except with window at ground. Engaged 3-storey tower in bay to outer left and to outer left corner; band course between each floor and eaves course; window to each floor.

SE ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay. Door at ground with bipartite window at eaves in bay to inner left. Gabled bay to outer right with 2 broadly- spaced windows at ground; corbelled canted oriel window at 1st floor above. Later advanced stack from ground to outer right. Window to right of bay to inner left; wall of addition to re-entrant angle projecting from centre of bay; tripartite window at 1st floor above, breaking eaves and with gabled dormerhead. Projecting bay to outer left; gabled; door with consoled platformed canopy, flanked by windows; consoled canted oriel at 1st floor above in gablehead. Screen wall to addition to each flanking re-entrant angle with swept coped wallhead.

SW ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay, each bay gabled. Tripartite transomed window at ground of bay to right with window at 1st floor above. Canted window at ground of bay to left with transomed windows; tripartite window at 1st floor above.

Variety of timber sash and case windows, including 4-pane, 8-pane, lying-pane and plate glass. Some fixed pane leaded windows. Slate roof. Exposed rafters at eaves. Intricate pierced bargeboarding to gables of SE and SW elevations. Ashlar coped stacks; octagonal coped ashlar grouped stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: whinstone rubble walls with droved coping. Square-plan ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal top.

Statement of Interest

The house which is in the style of David Bryce, is currently being renovated, 1995-6. A platformed, single storey with basement building was built in the later 20th century to NE, not adjoining. The harled lodge dates from earlier 19th century, positioned to NE of house; pyramidal piended slate roof with stack at apex. The building appears on the 1st edition OS map (1858) and the plan can be clearly read from 2nd edition OS map (1865). According to the current owners, the building was added to extensively in 1911, and certainly the NW elevation outer 2 bays to left are additions; to the SE the alterations and additions are not so clearly discernible (according to the plans). The screen coped wall flanking the main entrance was probably added at this time and also possibly the bay to outer right (as suggested by the current owner). The building was much altered again in the 1970s when the lift shaft was added to the bay to penultimate right of NW elevation. The materials and style of the shaft is not too intrusive in the general scheme. These alterations were made when the property was made into a local authority old people?s home. Many of the internal features were removed and altered. The building was recently threatened with demolition when the old people?s home was closed.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.