This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5482 / 55°32'53"N
Longitude: -2.8423 / 2°50'32"W
OS Eastings: 346950
OS Northings: 628602
OS Grid: NT469286
Mapcode National: GBR 84L8.FY
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9TR1
Entry Name: Ettrick Terrace, Former Jail, Now Incorporating Public Library, Boundary Walls and Entrance Arch with 1 Chapel Street and Screen Wall
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390355
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43752
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
1803 with later additions and alterations, particularly 1888. 3-storey 6-bay fortified building (former jail) with later Baronial style alterations. Pebbledash with ashlar dressings (red sandstone to later Baronial style alterations), some rendered. Corbelled string course between 2nd and low jettied 3rd storeys; slightly advanced long and short quoins; tails to most windows.
NW (ETTRICK TERRACE) ELEVATION: asymmetrically grouped 1-4-1. Large gap between 1st and 2nd floors of 4-bay group; segmental-arched small windows to each bay at 2nd floor. Window at ground and 1st floor of each bay of 4-bay group, except blank at ground of bay to outer left and corbelled red sandstone half-piended 3-light canted window at 1st floor of bay to outer right. 3-storey (different disposition to 4-bay group), single bay group to right with window at 1st and 2nd floors. 2-storey, single bay group to outer left with red sandstone dressings including coping. Bipartite window at 1st floor; corbelled turret breaking height of eaves to outer left.
SW ELEVATION: 3-bay. Corbelled 3-storey turret emanating from 1st floor to centre with window to each storey; corbelled eaves course. Window at 1st and 2nd floor of bay to left with corbelled string course stepping over as hoodmould. Blank bay to right with blank SW elevation of projection to re-entrant angle.
SE (CHAPEL STREET) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-part building set in front of main building. Pebbledash with red sandstone dressings. Base course, band course, eaves course, quoins. Pedimented slightly advanced bay to centre of left section with platformed full-height projection, window to each floor, door to return NE elevation; window to each floor of bay to right; window at ground to outer left. Bay to outer left slightly set back, in re-entrant angle; single storey with coping; blank, except for window to chamfered S elevation. Right section bay projecting with 2 small windows at ground; window at 1st floor between. SCREEN WALL: oriented to S and SW. Harled with red sandstone coping and dressings. Battered in stages. Corbelled parapet at top of S elevation with
2 blinded roundels/gunholes. Castellated SW wall.
Variety of windows including plate glass and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Some fixed-pane windows. Many windows with iron bars. Slate roof with coped crowstepped gables. Candlesnuffer roof with cast-iron finial to outer left of NW elevation; fish-scale slates to candlesnuffer roof of turret to SW with cast-iron finial. Crowstepped dormer above bay to inner left with segmental-arched opening.
INTERIOR: much altered, 1995.
BOUNDARY WALLS: whinstone rubble coped wall.
ENTRANCE ARCH: squared and snecked stugged sandstone with strip pilasters and coping, stepped up to centre. Round-arched opening with plaque above (inscribed Public Library and Reading Room 1888) and round plaque of Selkirk Coat-of-Arms.
The building was erected to replace the Tollbooth as Jail. In 1884 it ceased to be used as such and was offered to Selkirk Town Council. It was restored and presented to the town by Thomas Craig-Brown in 1888 as a library and reading room. According to B Holton and Strang, there is still a subterranean passageway to the Sheriff Court (see separate listing) opposite, through which the prisoners were taken. According to an account referred to in Gilbert?s publication, p121, it was written in 1817 that within the last 11-12 years many improvements had been made to Selkirk, including "a new prison has been erected in the north side of the town, which is surrounded by a high wall enclosing an area in which the prisoners have the privilege of walking". In 1845, the prison was regarded as being "not well secured", as 2 of 7 prisoners had managed to escape that year and prisoners would frequently leave in the evening, returning for when the jailer came in the morning!
Other nearby listed buildings