This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5469 / 55°32'48"N
Longitude: -2.8496 / 2°50'58"W
OS Eastings: 346491
OS Northings: 628459
OS Grid: NT464284
Mapcode National: GBR 84J9.WF
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.6V91
Entry Name: 19 Heatherlie Park with Gate, Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390361
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43757
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1860 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay L-plan house. Stugged sandstone ashlar with droved ashlar dressings; painted harl to sides and rear elevation. Base course, band course between storeys, eaves course.
SE (HEATHERLIE PARK) ELEVATION: corbelled cills to windows. Deep-set panelled door in slightly advanced, gabled bay to centre with rectangular plate glass fanlight, set in corniced doorway; datestone and window at 1st floor; corbel table stepping up and over window. Window at ground and bipartite window at 1st floor, breaking eaves in bay to left. Canted 4-light window at ground of bay to right with cill course, cornice and blocking course; bipartite window breaking eaves at 1st floor above.
NW ELEVATION: full-height gabled projection to right with 2-storey addition to re-entrant angle (to centre) with door at ground and border-glazed window above. Bipartite window at ground, window at 1st floor of return (NE) elevation of re-entrant addition. Window at ground and bipartite window breaking eaves at 1st floor above of return angle of projection.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to SE elevation; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Slate roof with terracotta cresting and exposed rafters at eaves. Trussed gable to centre of SE elevation with bargeboarding and finial. Half-piended roof to each 1st floor window breaking eaves. Ashlar coped stacks. Moulded guttering to SE.
INTERIOR: timber chimneypiece to drawing room. White marble chimneypiece to dining room with corbelled shelf. Stained glass to vestibule door and stair window. Shutters in place.
GATE AND GATEPIERS: cast-iron gatepiers flanking decorative wrought- iron and cast-iron pedestrian gate.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble.
OUTBUILDINGS: single storey rubble gig house/garage and separate outhouse to N.
Called The Maples, 1995. According to the present owner, the land was feued in 1859. In the late 19th century the house was known as Maples Cottage. The building, with its outbuildings, first appears on 2nd edition OS map (1865). The plan of the building has not altered since 1897.
Other nearby listed buildings