This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5485 / 55°32'54"N
Longitude: -2.832 / 2°49'55"W
OS Eastings: 347601
OS Northings: 628629
OS Grid: NT476286
Mapcode National: GBR 84N8.NT
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.GSMS
Entry Name: High School Lane, Old High School with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390363
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43759
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1896 with later alterations and additions. Single storey, 3-bay school building with single storey (of same period) outbuildings positioned to SW. Squared and snecked whinstone with red sandstone rough-hewn ashlar with polished ashlar mullions and transoms.
NW ELEVATION: bipartite window to centre. Outer bays slightly advanced and gabled. Tripartite transomed window in bay to left with entrance now to outer right section; flush red sandstone arched lintel above. Bipartite transomed window to centre of bay to right flanked by windows; flush red sandstone lintel arch above bipartite.
NE ELEVATION: 3-bay. Bay to centre advanced and gabled with 2 bipartite and transomed windows with datestone to gablehead. Bipartite window to each flaking bay.
9-pane upper and 4 or 6-pane lower timber sash and case window to each and to each section of multi-partite windows. Slate roof with red sandstone coped stacks; terracotta cresting and decorative slate-hung pyramidal-capped ventilator to ridge of outer right of NW and to centre of NE.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble whinstone with rubble coping. Square-plan red sandstone gatepiers to N of school with bull-faced bands and coping.
OUTBUILDINGS: of various dates. Later 19th century outbuildings to SW (not attached to building). Single storey range, running NE-SW, and attached to SW by building to perpendicular. Whinstone rubble with red sandstone dressings; harled to part of NW elevation to NE-SW range.
2 sets of double doors to NW elevation of NE-SW range with door to outer right; door to left of range to perpendicular. Slate roof to each-piended to NE-SW range with terracotta cresting; gambrel with terracotta cresting to perpendicular range with metal ventilator to ridge; glazed panels to roof. Later further outbuildings (see Notes).
The school is a good example of the building type, retaining its original fenestration and roofing. Modern steps and a disabled ramp have been added, giving admission to the door in bay to left of NW elevation. The school, first opened in 1897, providing 40 secondary-education fee-paying places for children. There was also a small preparatory school. Due to the change in statutory school- leaving age, firstly in 1918 (raised to 14 years), in 1945 (to 15 years) and in 1972 (to 16 years), school accommodation had to be rearranged. In 1918, the entry to the High remained competitive and those who failed the admission exams had to stay on at the Primary school at Knowepark. In 1945, there was a merging of the education for the older children at Knowepark and at the High School and further accommodation was provided in prefabricated buildings near to the High School. Moves were afoot to concentrate the secondary education for Selkirk at one site, in 1948. A site was found and bought at Byethorn, near to the High School and the first stage of the building of the new High School was completed in 1959, being finally completed (to provide accommodation for 600 pupils) in 1973. The High School building is now used for primary school education.
Other nearby listed buildings