This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5478 / 55°32'51"N
Longitude: -2.841 / 2°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 347032
OS Northings: 628548
OS Grid: NT470285
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.Q3
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.BTCD
Entry Name: 15 and 17 High Street
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390366
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43762
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Early 19th century with extensive alterations in later 19th century; further additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay building in terrace (advanced in front of line of No 23 High Street) with shop at ground. Painted bull-faced rendered SE elevation; whinstone rubble with stugged and droved ashlar dressings. Base course, band course between ground and 1st floor with cornice above shop fascia; eaves course and quoin strips.
SE (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: modern shop front at ground with 2-leaf glazed door set back with plate glass rectangular fanlight above to left of centre; plate glass fixed pane shop windows flanking. Near-square window to each bay at 1st floor above, grouped to centre.
NW ELEVATION: 2-bay. Full-height canted 3-light window in bay to left. Window at ground of bay to right with boarded door to left with 2-pane rectangular fanlight above; tripartite window at 1st floor above.
SW ELEVATION: panelled door to outer right with coloured-glass, border glazed round-arched stair window above.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to NW elevation, except modern metal-framed window at ground, bay to right; modern glazing at 1st floor of SE elevation. Slate roof, half-piended roof above each bay to NW. Canted piended dormers to outer bays of SE elevation. Ashlar coped mutual stack to NE.
INTERIOR: encaustic tiles to hall of rear property, cast-iron banister to stairs.
There was a building on this site in 1823. The house to the rear is entered to SW and includes the 1st and attic storeys of the SE elevation. The plan of building was as now in 1897. A photograph dating from the later 1880s, by AR Edwards (NMRS) shows that the building was line-rendered at that time with a cornice and fascia at ground (similar to now) which extended and was consoled above a door at ground of bay to right.
Other nearby listed buildings