This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5481 / 55°32'53"N
Longitude: -2.8397 / 2°50'22"W
OS Eastings: 347116
OS Northings: 628586
OS Grid: NT471285
Mapcode National: GBR 84M8.0Z
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.CT04
Entry Name: 50 and 52 High Street
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390396
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43783
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Late 19th century- early 20th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay Renaissance terraced tenement, with commercial accommodation at ground, designed and formerly used as bank. Red sandstone ashlar at ground; bull-faced sandstone with polished ashlar dressings at 1st floor. Base course, entablature between ground and 1st floor with cornice as cill course of 1st floor and fluted triglyphs to frieze; cornice at eaves with Baroque balustraded parapet; cornice above each window at 1st floor.
NW (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: roll-moulded tripartite window at ground to centre with timber mullions and transom and joggled lintel stones. Panelled door at ground to left (entrance to No 52) with mutuled corniced lintel above and tripartite, timber mullioned, multi-paned semicircular fanlight above, set in roll-moulded segmental-arched doorpiece with fluted keystone. Deep-set panelled door (entrance to
No 50) to right, at ground, cornice surmounted by deep-set semicircular fanlight above. Window at 1st floor to centre with strapwork carving above (monogram: TSB?); crowstepped gable above, breaking eaves with bipartite window in gablehead with cornice above and corbelled ashlar coped wallhead stack at apex. Window at 1st floor to flanking bays.
SE ELEVATION: not seen, 1995.
Leaded upper panels to window at ground to centre with stained glass shields. 8-pane upper case and 2-pane lower case timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with dormer to each of outer bays. Ashlar coped mutual stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen fully, 1995. Timber banister to stairs; timber chimneypiece with mutuled cornice in place in principal room.
There has been a building on this site since 1823 (and possibly earlier). The Savings? Bank first established a branch at Selkirk in 1838, and it was subsequently converted into National Securities Savings? Bank, 1839. There was a 2-storey, 3-bay terraced building on this site in circa 1880 and 1895. The quality of the materials and the craftsmanship makes this building a particularly fine element in the High Street. There was formerly "Savings Bank" carved to the fascia, now covered with a modern fascia.