This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5472 / 55°32'49"N
Longitude: -2.8421 / 2°50'31"W
OS Eastings: 346962
OS Northings: 628486
OS Grid: NT469284
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.H9
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9TVT
Entry Name: 6 Market Place, Bank of Scotland, with Railings
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390406
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43793
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Circa 1860 with further alterations and additions. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay commercial building, slightly set back from line of earlier terrace. Polished ashlar to SE elevation; squared and snecked sandstone to later addition, SW elevation; whinstone rubble with droved red sandstone ashlar dressings to outer left of SW elevation and to NW elevation. Base course; cornice between ground and 1st floor with blind Baroque balustrade above; modillioned cornice at eaves with engaged Baroque balustrade above; moulded architraves to 1st floor windows of outer bays, with diminutive cornice above.
SE ELEVATION: composite-capitalled pilasters framing each bay at ground. Canted window at ground, to centre with engaged columns; cornice and balustrade (forming parapet). Window at 1st floor above set in engaged Composite screen in recessed panel, with moulded architrave above lintel level. Window at ground of bay to right, and at 1st floor above. Panelled door in bay to left with plate glass fanlight; window at 1st floor above.
SW ELEVATION: NW corner of main building corbelled at 1st floor with canted window at 1st and 2nd floors. Possibly 6-bay (grouped 2-1-3). Single storey lean-to addition at ground of 3-bay group to right. Window to each floor of single bay. Later boarded door to right of earlier 2-storey building (with flush quoins and margins); window at 1st floor of each bay.
NW ELEVATION: gabled. Modern 2-leaf part-glazed door in bay to left.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to SE elevation of main building; variety of timber sash and case windows to rear, including 12-pane timber sash and case windows to earlier 2-storey building to left of SW elevation. Slate mansard roof to main building with ashlar coped wallhead flanking stacks; coped skews. Each bay with pedimented dormers breaking engaged balustrade. Piended addition to rear (adjoining earlier building).
INTERIOR: not seen, 1996.
RAILINGS: dwarf ashlar wall to SE with cast-iron railings.
The 2nd edition OS map, 1865, on a large scale, indicates that the present building had already been erected. It was at that time owned by the British Linen Company Bank, which established a branch, in Selkirk, in 1825. There had been a building on this site in 1823, and there was at that time a pend running between Nos 3 and 5 Market Place (see separate listing) and the building. (A photograph from the Rev John Lawson collection, a copy of which is at NMRS, shows the bank as it looked before this building replaced it. Also see a photograph of the building in the compilation of photographs by Mitchell, p14) When the new bank was erected circa 1860, the pend was retained, but as this building was designed to be set back from the line of the terrace, it was necessary to provide a support for the adjacent building, over the pend-entrance. Hence the presence of an ashlar square-plan column. The alterations, which largely effected the SW elevation, were designed in 1885.
Other nearby listed buildings