This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5468 / 55°32'48"N
Longitude: -2.8417 / 2°50'30"W
OS Eastings: 346986
OS Northings: 628440
OS Grid: NT469284
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.KG
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.BV14
Entry Name: 38 and 39 Market Place and Halliwell's Close
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390423
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43802
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Mid 19th century possibly incorporating earlier fabric with later additions and alterations; circa 1800 buildings lining close to rear, with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay terraced tenement with shop accommodation at ground. Painted whinstone rubble with raised polished dressings and droved ashlar tails to 1st floor margins; whinstone rubble to rear and rear additions. Corniced fascia above ground; cill course to 1st floor windows; eaves course; long and short quoins.
NE (MARKET PLACE) ELEVATION: regularly-disposed bays at 1st floor, each with window. Panelled 2-leaf door to centre at ground; plate glass fixed-pane shop window flanking; pend-entrance to outer left.
SW ELEVATION: extensive 2-storey additions, forming one side of Halliwell?s close.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Slate roof. Modern dormers to outer bays of NE elevation with modern metal glazing. Ashlar coped mutual stack to NW; brick mutual stack to SE. Slate roof to additions to rear of varying pitch and height with harled and coped wallhead stack to centre of SW, above gable of addition.
INTERIOR: Nos 38 and 39 Market Place not seen, 1996. HALLIWELL?S CLOSE: buildings lining close to rear of Nos 38 and 39 Market Place, along old rig pattern now converted into museum.
The name Halliwell is associated with the close and the additions to the rear of Nos 38 and 39 Market Place from the 18th century, because a periwig maker from Duns used the buildings from 1712. By 1763, the close was owned mainly by Halliwell, according to the Town Council records. The present buildings date from circa 1800. The close was formerly linked to Lang?s close. Between 1800 and 1950, Halliwell?s Close was sometimes referred to as Robertson?s Close and subsequently Laurie?s Close, after the names of shopowners. The shop (Nos 38 and 39 Market Place) was from about 1801 to 1981 a hardware-cum-iron monger?s shop. The last ironmonger, Fred Robson, exhibited interesting ironmongery in the back rooms. This has made the basis of the present museum, together with general local history. It was opened by the Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensferry 30 May 1984.
Other nearby listed buildings