This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5501 / 55°33'0"N
Longitude: -2.8375 / 2°50'14"W
OS Eastings: 347260
OS Northings: 628806
OS Grid: NT472288
Mapcode National: GBR 84M8.H8
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.DR1L
Entry Name: 15 Scotts Place, with Outbuilding and Timber Shed
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390436
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43813
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Early 19th century with later additions and alterations with later 19th century outbuilding. Single storey with attic, 3-bay house sited directly on road with whinstone rubble single storey with attic, 3-bay outbuilding positioned to NW. Painted line-rendered with ashlar dressings; rendered SW and NW elevation; Long and short quoins; ornamental timber eaves board.
SE (SCOTTS PLACE) ELEVATION: panelled door to centre in stop-chamfered doorway with quoins. Window to each flanking bay.
NW ELEVATION: single storey platform-roofed addition projecting from centre and bay to left; further lean-to addition to outer right.
Metal modern windows at ground with 4-pane timber sash and case windows to rear; plate glass timber sash and case windows to dormers; 8-pane (possibly fixed) windows to outbuilding. Purple slate roof with ashlar coped stacks to each side elevation and 2 addition rendered and coped stacks to additions to rear. 3-light canted gablet-roofed dormers to outer bays of SE, with ornate bargeboarding; triangular (lucarne) dormer to centre with point-arched window.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
OUTBUILDING: SE ELEVATION: irregular disposal of bays, grouped to left. 2-leaf boarded door in bay to centre. Window to each flanking bay with timber margins. NW ELEVATION: boarded window to each bay. Slate roof to outbuilding with hay-loft dormer with boarded door between bay to centre and to left. Brick wallhead stacks to side elevation.
TIMBER SHED: timber-built shed projecting in front of bay to left of outbuilding, to SE; corrugated iron roof. Former timber store for joiner (see Notes).
Called Linden Lea, 1995. According to the present owner the land was feued in 1811 and the feuing document indicates that the house must be built of stone with a slate roof. The house has undergone many alterations, possibly including a new roof with a slightly raised eaves level. The harshness of the picture windows would be reduced if mullions were re-introduced. The outbuilding to NW was used as a joiner?s workshop up until the 1950s and it must have been due to this that the bargeboarding is so ornate. The property is of particular interest due to the totality of the feu, as most of the strips of land have subsequently been subdivided and built upon. The feu extends to Back Feu to NW. It is for its local historical importance that the building and its curtilage has been listed. The building, sited beside the road, appears on Wood?s map (1823) but it is only by the 3rd edition OS map (1897) that the outbuilding appears.
Other nearby listed buildings