This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.55 / 55°32'59"N
Longitude: -2.8371 / 2°50'13"W
OS Eastings: 347281
OS Northings: 628790
OS Grid: NT472287
Mapcode National: GBR 84M8.KB
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.DR6P
Entry Name: Scotts Place, Selkirk Congregational Church with Boundary Walls, Railings and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43814
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Later 19th century with later additions and alterations. Rectangular-planned gothic hall church with vestry to SE. Squared whinstone with red sandstone dressings; whinstone rubble to NE and SE elevations with red sandstone dressings. Base course; tall, narrow point-arched openings.
NW (SCOTTS PLACE) ELEVATION: gabled with angle buttresses with sawtooth and gablet buttress-heads. Tripartite window with taller middle light; plaque to gablehead.
SW (DOVECOT PARK) ELEVATION: 6-bay each with window except bay to outer left with gabled projecting porch ; hoodmoulded opening with 2-leaf boarded door with wrought-iron ornamental hinges. Vestry set back to outer right with window to centre, boarded door with wrought-iron hinges to left and window to right.
NE ELEVATION: 6 regularly disposed bays each with window. Shoulder-arched window to each 2-bay group to outer left of vestry.
Leaded lights with colour border; 4-pane timber sash and case windows to NE elevation of vestry. Slate roof with lucarnes to SW; 19th century skylight to outer left of NE. Terracotta ridge tiles; terracotta cresting to ridge of porch. Coped ashlar skews with ashlar cruciform finial to NW. Ashlar coped stack to gablehead of nave and vestry to SE elevation.
INTERIOR: 2 aisles with timber pews with brass umbrella stands. Boarded dado; plastered walls with cornice and deep, coombed ceiling. Rose window to SE. Raised minister?s section with buttoned velvet cushioned, pointed-arch seat back to centre with panelled timber in front. Pine pulpit to centre (in front of minister?s seat). Simple oak communion table with "This do in remembrance of Me" carved to front. Ashlar font to NE and timber font (dedicated to memory of men killed in 1939-45 war) to SW, each with brass goblet on cover, gifted in 1955. Timber precinct around main entrance with brass curtain poles and curtains. VESTRY: timber chimneypiece.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: whinstone rubble with red sandstone coping; cast-iron railings; square-plan droved ashlar stop-chamfered gatepiers with pyramidal coping.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. According to Rutherford, the church seated 130 people in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings